walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Innse's

The Innse's

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cruach Innse, Sgùrr Innse

Date walked: 03/09/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 960m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left house at 5am and breezed across to Spean. Drove up passed Coririechollie and the sign saying that parking was for the Lodge guests only, then through a gate to where a forestry road branched off to the right. ( I'm always nervous about driving through unpadlocked gates, they have a nasty habit of being locked when you return - necessitating a walk and a bit of grovelling to officious keepers or farmers.
Parked under the nearly illegible wooden signpost, then made a quick getaway before the midgies found me.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Paid my respects to the minister and the Lochaber MR Folks and prayed for the weather to clear.

The Meenister John.jpg
The Meenister John

John McIntosh plaque.jpg
John McIntosh Plaque & Lochaber MRT honesty box

Decided to walk up the track to the bealach at Clach Cartaidh to allow the clag to burn off.

A wet track up   Lairig Leacach.jpg
A wet track up Lairig Leacach

Just as I'd struck off from the track for the bealach between the Innse's the rain came on, which was a bit of a nuisance, as I had to stop and tog up.( so much for buying good weather) The bealach was soon reached and I followed the path up Sgurr Innes.

Looking back up Sgurr Innse from the bealach.jpg
Sgurr Innes from the bealach

Just as the top was reached, the clag cleared - the minister was doing his stuff now !
A few pics on the top as the clag started to move higher - Grey Corries didn't quite manage to be completely clear, but hey - cloud free Innse's are good enough for me !

Top of Sgurr Innse.jpg
Sgurr Innse summit cairn

A scuttle back down to the bealach and up Cruach Innes, with the cloud swirling around Ceannan. Seemed to be that "clingy" sort of cloud that wafted off one side of the hill and collected on another side.

Cruach Innse from the slopes of Sgurr Innse.jpg
Cruach Innse from the slopes of Sgurr Innse

Top of Cruach Innes.jpg
The top of Cruach Innse with S C na Ceannain trying to clear it's head of cloud.

Had a sit down on the top of Cruach and had my piece while watching the scenery change as the cloud wafted about the surrounding hills. Took a few pics then headed off down, moving a few sheep & lambs on the way. The descent was fairly steep down to the track and I thought that it was a good decision to do the hills this way ( albeit for the wrong reasons ) as an ascent of this slope looked a flog.
A pleasant walk back to the car in sunshine, congratulating mysellf on my timing for this trip. ( must be the first ever !) Stopped at the bridge and looked back at Cruach Innse now bathed in sunshine

Bridge over Alt Leachdach and Cruach Innse.jpg
Bridge over Alt Leachdach & Cruach Innse behind

The gate down the track wasn't locked & my tyres were fully inflated, so my fears were totally unjustified.
Headed off round to the Fort for a coffee & biscuit feeling quite satisfied. Kinlochleven here I come.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: The Innse's

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Nice report of these two and fab that the weather brightened up for you :D .
Ever since I saw them from Stob Ban, they have been on my to do list. They look like great fun 8) .
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: The Innse's

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 am

Silverhill wrote:Nice report of these two and fab that the weather brightened up for you :D .
Ever since I saw them from Stob Ban, they have been on my to do list. They look like great fun 8) .

Aye, I'd been past them a couple of times while visiting the Grey corries a good while back. They're quite shapely and an easy day out giving great views of the GC and the Easy-aines in the other direction, if the weather's nice.
Hope you get good weather for your trip !
Cheers Gordon
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland