walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol and Creag Leacach

Glas Maol and Creag Leacach

Postby KatTai » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 11/09/2016

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had these two on my to-do list after seeing another walk report on these two. So today, with the forecast while not looking great but good enough and a dog who was driving me mad wanting a good walk, we set off. The plus side to these two, I could scan the hillsides for sheep and seeing none, the dogs could just be left off-lead. The parking area is easy to find just before the ski centre (coming from the South) and the track up clear to see. Up we headed amongst the ski lifts , ski fences, ski runs...following the track in pretty much a straight line heading towards Glas Maol.

b.jpg

The summits weren't looking promising, both of them shrouded in cloud but we kept on going up and up until we passed the end of the ski lift and onto a grassier track heading towards the slopes of Glas Maol. The path was steeper than it looked from a distance, but we headed on up and were soon on the summit plateau. For a moment the summit was in sight, and then it vanished!

5.jpg
Hey, where'd the summit go?

And it stayed that way for the dogs summit photo...Munro 18 for Millie, Dottie and myself and 13 for Moss.

6.jpg

The dogs had a play around not far from the summit, and then tried to find the path we should be on to head to our next target which in the poor visibility wasn't easy, but for the first time I actually got to test out my Viewranger and sure enough it got us onto the path! I was actually tempted to just turn back, the wind was pretty strong and we'd be walking almost straight into the wind but we just kept going.

8.jpg
Summit playtime

It wasn't the clearest path to follow, but the cloud vanished and our next target came into sight including a marker cairn and the wall, so we just headed towards that.

9.jpg

From there it was a case of following the wall to the summit (cutting off a corner on the way)!

h.jpg

Though there was a couple of pauses for some wall-agility with the dogs jumping over sections of the wall that were free of rusty old wire!

11.jpg

14.jpg

It was getting windier as we went up, so there was just time for a quick summit photo before heading back. On the way up I spotted a path across softer boggy ground, so we dropped a bit lower down and found that path that was a bit easier on the dogs paws and a bit easier for Moss, who didn't seem overly confident on the bouldery bit even with big sis there.

18.jpg

It was getting windier and winder as we descended and at the cairn took the path to the left to head back down, and it was getting darker, so we didn't hang around much and made it back to the car after 3 hours 40 minutes walking! Just as we made it back to the car, it started raining so perfect timing. Dogs well exercised, two more Munro's and overall a good Sunday afternoon walk!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Re: Glas Maol and Creag Leacach

Postby brother52 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:27 pm

I know what you mean about the wind today. I was walking Meall Buidhe and Stuc an Lochain today and seriously thought I might get blown off the summit of the latter. Great photos! Good exercise for your climbing buddies too!
brother52

Munros:74   

Re: Glas Maol and Creag Leacach

Postby KatTai » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:35 pm

I looked like Cousin It on a bad hair day when I got back to the car LOL! But I made it down safely so that's the main thing!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland