walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

1ST Munro. Ben Lomond

1ST Munro. Ben Lomond

Postby Kendo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 15/08/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 974m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After Promising myself i was going to do a bit of walking this year and after a false start with Tinto earlier in the year I got off my ass and did Ben Lomond on Saturday......and i wont be climbing another hill for a while!!!!!

Firstly I need to say...I'm an idiot and i didnt reasearch enough or prepare well enough to do this hill!

The fitness i thought i had built up over the last few weeks with a lot of long walks on the flat was quickly made a mockery off when i started off a bit too fast at the bottom. I quickly had to adjust my pace and stride so started to take it easier with fewer breaks. All was going well and I got to the top in around 2hrs 45 min. I had expected to be alot quicker than this and was quite dissapointed...but on reflection keeping my slighlty injured knee in good condition while dragging my 19 stone up there it was quite satisfying to get to the top atall!!!

The way down was a different matter. I decided to do the loop thus making it longer than i needed to.

Keeping the knee good on the way down was a nearly impossible. I'm actually slower coming down than going up half the time. I just kept it steady with a few more breaks than on the way up!!! my knee being the main brake to my progress. Apart from that the way down did seem a bit more extreme than i was expecting. Dont really know waht i was expecting but that wasnt it!!!

I think I will be waiting till ive lost a few more pounds to before i tackle another climb.

So 2 days after i did it...i'm in agony, my knee is as bad as it was and I've got some nice photos

But I'm really please with myself and tho i might not have realised it at the time I loved every minute of it!! :D
Kendo
Ambler

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: 1ST Munro. Ben Lomond

Postby Nicla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:30 pm

woohoo one down, hunners to go, go the kendo!!
Nicla

Munros:83   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Kendo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Pic i took about 1/3rd of the way up
Attachments
Photo0470.JPG
WILL GET MORE OF MY PICS UP SHORTLY
Kendo
Ambler

Postby robertian » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Being a bit overweight myself, I also have more difficulty coming down the hill , rather than going up. I have found though that a pair of walking sticks and knee supports make the pain a bit more bearable. However the one thing that I have been most pleased with is - the more hills you do , the more you strengthen the knee and leg muscles , thereby minimising the pain.

I have also become converted to the use of pain killers - before, during and after my excursions.

Dont give up yet , get back out and overcome the pain

Cheers
Ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 am

The fitness i thought i had built up over the last few weeks with a lot of long walks on the flat was quickly made a mockery off when i started off a bit too fast at the bottom. I quickly had to adjust my pace and stride so started to take it easier

Feels like that for everyone I promise! It's only when you go back to easier terrain after a step up that you feel the benefit of any improved fitness. Hope your knee is feeling a bit better and you are ready to plan another trip :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Kendo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks for the advice....at 8:30 yesterday i was planning to give hills a miss.

By 5 O'clock i had picked my next hill!!!! :D

Will keep on it. Legs are feeling alot better already.
Kendo
Ambler

Postby munrowalker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Don't wait, now you've done your first one they get a lot easier. My first one was Lomond and I was utterly cream crackered and about your weight as well. I kept at it and it does get a lot easier. Now lost 2 stone and can fairly sprint up them.

2hrs 45 was not a bad time at all for getting to the top of Lomond at all!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Well done Kendo - just keep going - the weight will come off with each hill you do - you have done the hardest one - your fitness will improve and with the weight loss (even a lb or two) you'll notice a massive difference.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Great effort! I was up at 21stone 2 years ago myself and can't imagine being able to get up Lomond at all at that weight - never mind 2hr 45mins (you must have a big engine!) Now 15stone so a little easier but still didnt do lomond in less than 3 hours.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland