walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Full on The Hill

Full on The Hill

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Route description: Biod an Athair and Dunvegan Head

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Biod an Athair

Date walked: 19/09/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 300m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a rotten time of it in hospital recently with a kidney stone. Now obliged to mend my ways re. hydration but I am also prone to back pain so have to experiment a bit to find out how much I can carry or look more for routes where water is available en route or where I can drop some off en route.
Anyway, this was my first outing of my new hydrated walking lifestyle. Constrained as I was to selecting something undemanding but still wishing for some drama I turned to Skye again as there are a few such routes there I have stored up for future excursions, Biod an Athair being one such.
A few doubts as I set off in the early morning and even thoughts of doubling back to do something small and local for the sunrise but I persisted. A bit grim on Skye though first off with leaden skies, drizzle and rain. Didn't look promising at all but not unforecast so kept with the plan.
My original plan was to approach from the south to take in the line of cliffs there but my nominal parking spot was dominated by a large no parking sign so it was off to the more recognised route from the east, starting at Galtrigill. This would also make for a shorter walk and I didn't have too much difficulty persuading myself that this was a good idea as I wasn't strictly following post hospital medical advice. But I was feeling ok and was prepared to abandon if feeling unwell. Turned out great though so needn't have worried.
The first half a kilometre is over a farm track which gives way to a more vague path hugging the foot of the hillside ahead. This in turn disappears into the heather and grass at which point a barbed wire fence crossing and burn crossing beckon. I was pretty wary of the fence crossing because of my back but it was behaving well and I successfully balanced my way over. Once across the burn there followed a great stretch of easy walking over the lazybeds that adorn a lot of the burnside. That got me up to the bealach and a further half kilometre across more boggy ground. That was an hour up to the bealach start and my hydration plan was working well.
Once at the west end of the bealach there was a real spring in my step as the cliff edge was reached and my original approach was revealed. Not enough energy or inclination to go inspecting it from here though so I just took in the immediate cliff scenery and then turned north to cover the last kilometre to the top. I have to say this was a lot more spectacular than expected. I mean the hill gets a good write up but I don't think I've read anything that quite does it justice; a real hidden gem, or at least a neglected one.
I guess the core of my surprise was the number of twists and turns, crags and perches along the way to the top and beyond, each offering a new prospect of sea, boulder beach, crag and grassy summit.
Went half a kilometre north of the summit then descended over shortish, dryish grass before cutting more south to hit the lazybeds again and thereafter retrace my approach route. Tagged along with a crofter at the bottom. He'd only been up the hill once but often took his boat past. He was hearding his cows down the farm track so I thought I'd be better walking with him than getting caught up with the cows and the collie.
Well, I had this hill on my mind for some time so great to get over there and visit. A fantastic little hill and I find myself scratching my head at having not got round to this before, kind of dismissing it as of limited interest. How wrong I have been!

ImageDSCN8317 by John Little, on Flickr

original planned route would've come over the cliffs on the left

ImageDSCN8345 by John Little, on Flickr

one of many yawning gaps in the cliff edge

ImageDSCN8353 by John Little, on Flickr

a dizzying pinnacle for the brave to stand on -I didn't

ImageDSCN8356 by John Little, on Flickr

boulder beach below lends scale

ImageDSCN8365 by John Little, on Flickr

cliff shadow over the sea created some wonderful effects

ImageDSCN8374 by John Little, on Flickr

looking south again

ImageDSCN8386 by John Little, on Flickr

diffraction

ImageDSCN8410 by John Little, on Flickr

summit trig point

ImageDSCN8415 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8416 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN8427 by John Little, on Flickr

Outer Hebrides don't show up well in photos but seemed very clear to the eye albeit amidst some haze

ImageDSCN8429 by John Little, on Flickr

the summit from a half km to the north

ImageDSCN8441 by John Little, on Flickr[/img]
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Full on The Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:24 pm

That looked pretty dramatic, I can see why you enjoyed yourself.

Hope the health picks up.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dalavil » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:58 pm

A good hill to get back into it. Good luck with your progression.
dalavil

Munros:279   Corbetts:221
Fionas:72   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:26

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Gordie12 wrote:That looked pretty dramatic, I can see why you enjoyed yourself.

Hope the health picks up.

A really entertaining walk though probably slightly overdoing it. Couple of months will hopefully see me in better fettle.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:14 pm

dalavil wrote:A good hill to get back into it. Good luck with your progression.

Thanks. Yes, quite a gentle gradient and surprisingly good going i.e. not many holes or bogs in amongst the rougher ground. Summit ridge like a golf course green.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Nice photos and a great day for it - looks a good place to explore - haven't been to Skye for ages - really must remedy that - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Stunning photos and thanks for flagging this up - I'm overdue a trip to Skye. Hope you are recovering from your op and the hydration system is working for you :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:49 pm

What a fabulous place! Just shows one really doesn't need to focus on mountains alone!

Hope you regain your health.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:15 pm

That looks tremendous. Best wishes with the rehab, a bit hard to square carrying more water but less weight, at least there is usually plenty of water about in Scotland.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:50 pm

Brilliant pictures. You cant beat the west coast or the islands on days like that.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice photos and a great day for it - looks a good place to explore - haven't been to Skye for ages - really must remedy that - cheers :)

Highly recommended.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Stunning photos and thanks for flagging this up - I'm overdue a trip to Skye. Hope you are recovering from your op and the hydration system is working for you :D :D

Thanks, yes all going well. This walk was certainly an antidote to hospital.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Alteknacker wrote:What a fabulous place! Just shows one really doesn't need to focus on mountains alone!

Hope you regain your health.

Yes, it is quite breath-taking but you'd never suspect this when viewing from the east. The relatively dull approach probably makes the cliffs tops feel even more dramatic though than might otherwise be the case. Add in the couple of week long hospital stays beforehand and it felt like paradise.

Long term health looks not bad so quite happy with that. In retrospect a bad back, hillwalking, football and chronic dehydration have been like a set of dominoes. Live and learn!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:45 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:That looks tremendous. Best wishes with the rehab, a bit hard to square carrying more water but less weight, at least there is usually plenty of water about in Scotland.

Yes, a great wee walk. A different sort of hillwalking ahead now with water logistics being the first consideration but that could make for interesting planning.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Brilliant pictures. You cant beat the west coast or the islands on days like that.
All the best :D

Thanks, I was very happy with the day and the sights. Could've chosen something nearer at hand but so wanted a west coast sea view.
litljortindan
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland