walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond and West Highland Way Milngavie-Crianlarich

Ben Lomond and West Highland Way Milngavie-Crianlarich

Postby Beery Hiker » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 16/09/2016

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last week I did a 3 day walk from Milngavie to Crianlarich, with two long days from Milngavie to Rowardennan (26 miles) and Rowardennan to Crianlarich (20 miles), with this little side trip up Ben Lomond in between.

Thursday got off to a bad start when I discovered that my camera battery was flat, but I still took a few pictures on the phone, firstly of this shapely little wooded hill:
Image20160915_115021 by HH, on Flickr

The long struggle over the shoulder of Conic Hill was rewarded with this sudden view of the middle part of Loch Lomond:
Image20160915_161843 by HH, on Flickr

The last few miles were against the clock as daylight was running out and I had to reach the Rowardennan hostel, so I couldn't take many pictures
Image20160915_180854 by HH, on Flickr

Next day I felt surprisingly good, so I set off up the Ptarmigan path, which is now a pretty good path all the way, with a little very easy scrambling near the summit. Throughout the ascent, it was Loch Lomond that caught the eye
ImageIMG_0040 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0044 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0048 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0049 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0050 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0051 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0052 by HH, on Flickr

I had seen just 3 people on the ascent, all of them a little quicker than me. The summit had been in cloud for much of the early morning, and it was still lingering when I arrived on the top.
ImageIMG_0056 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0058 by HH, on Flickr

Lingering was justified by the first gaps in the cloud
ImageIMG_0060 by HH, on Flickr

Within minutes there were views in all directions
ImageIMG_0063 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0064 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0065 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0069 by HH, on Flickr

Couldn't resist a summit selfie - a bit of a bad hair day
ImageIMG_0074 by HH, on Flickr

There are a few little crags further down the summit ridge
ImageIMG_0075 by HH, on Flickr

I descended on the main tourist path, which was starting to get very busy. Loch Lomond was still catching the eye.
ImageIMG_0083 by HH, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0087 by HH, on Flickr

At the lakeside, I came across this rather strange edifice:
ImageIMG_0091 by HH, on Flickr

The following morning, I set off up the West Highland Way on the rough path along the shore.
ImageIMG_0097 by HH, on Flickr

I liked this overhanging tree
ImageIMG_0106 by HH, on Flickr

Ascending the hill towards Inverarnan, I couldn't resist one last view of Loch Lomond:
ImageIMG_0110 by HH, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beery Hiker
Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:13
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:124
Wainwrights:118   Islands:5

Re: Ben Lomond and West Highland Way Milngavie-Crianlarich

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Fantastic set of photos, Loch Lomond especially looking wonderful.

The summit views from Ben Lomond look magnificent too...

...as does the bad hair day shot - excellent Van der Graaf Generator hair effect.

Must try the West Highland Way Loch Lomond trail sometime, but I will split it into smaller sections - remembering the blisters last time I tried to do 20+ miles in a day!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:95   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:103   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland