walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain. My Daughters 1st Munro

Beinn Narnain. My Daughters 1st Munro

Postby Safehands1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:46 am

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 14/08/2016

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after hearing about my adventures on Ben Lomond and My Lonely Trek up Beinn Ime, My 11yr old daughter (EJ) was now curious and was wanting to know what all the fuss was about.
We got up early and arrived in Arrochar at :07:30 and off we went into the foggy Forrest. At 1st we were just going to do Beinn Narnain only but when EJ caught sight of The Cobbler it was a must for her. After much discussion we decided to do Narnain 1st get the Munro out way 1st. We also decided on the back route as she may not handle going the front route. The cloud kept coming and going. When we got to the cross roads to make the final ascent up Narnain it was thick with cloud. We were having to make sure we did not lose the thin trail that led us up to our goal and EJs 1st Cairn. Luckily the clouds broke and we seen the rocks were we're heading to we needed to scramble over. A lovely couple coming the other way informed us we were nearly there, EJ's face lit up with the excitement just growing inside. She seen an Eagle flying overhead and just couldn't believe her eyes. Finally we made it to the top, EJ bursting with pride. While having our sandwiches the clouds came out of nowhere. We decided to try and wait it out as they have been so sporadic. After 20mins they were still around so we decided to go for it. Two very pretty ladies who past us on the way up earlier came up up to us and asked us if they could follow us down as they had got lost. (That is how bad the cloud had got). So as a little mini group we carefully set off. The annoying thing is the cloud cleared again when we got to the cross paths to the stairway up The Cobbler. I hate stairs but off I went. This is the one EJ has been waiting for and tried to speed on ahead. The Cobbler looks so small! But once you are round the back of the beast it is very disorientating. We got onto some part of it, I do not know which. It was just to the left of the front climb as your facing down. We stopped to finish off our sandwiched. Cloud scooted in AGAIN. We decided to "cut time" and prevent double backing we will take the more direct route down and go down the front. It can't be that hard right? It doesn't look it when ya looking up at it? I could never have been more WRONG. The front path on The Cobbler took ages. I am not an experience climber and it was EJ 1st ever time. The path is not a path it is a very steep challenging and dangerous climb, full of caves and crevices, loose slippery rocks and waterfalls. Definitely not for the inexperienced like myself, as my ankle found out. I slipped on a rocked that fell and twisted it, making the journey down exceptionally hard. However me and EJ were not just daddy & daughter that day we were a team. Helping each other. That what these days are all about
Attachments
IMG_0169.JPG
Steaming up the back of the Cobbler
IMG_0171.JPG
Proud daddy/daughter moment
IMG_0172.JPG
Beinn Narnain My 3rd Munro
IMG_0173.JPG
Yey! EJ's 1st Munro
IMG_0174.JPG
Almost there
IMG_0168.JPG
EJ plodding on ahead
Safehands1
Hill Bagger

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland