walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Aonach Eagach Ridge

Another Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby davetherave » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 17/08/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1185m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 14TH Aug 2010
Completed by. Dave
Weather. Blue skies with cloud on the tops
Time. 5 ½ hrs
Distance. 10.6 km
Ascent. 1185 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 2
Corbett’s x 0
Grahams x 0

The Aonach Eagach Ridge

Meall Dearg and Sgorr Nam Fiannaidh

my route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting from.

Car park on South side of A82 at NN 168/568

Due to the prospect of 80% + cloud free Munro’s and the low wind forecast, I decided a big change was needed to my original route.

I was going to head to the bottom of Glen Etive and catch a couple of Munro’s and a Corbett. The other half again had a night out planned with the girls, this left Wilson and I to do our own thing.

Checked the weather forecast on Thursday and the Glen Coe / Glen Etive area looked very promising indeed… this was when I decided a change was needed to my plans.

There had been several walk reports in recent weeks about the Aonach Eagach ridge on the Walkhighlands site, and with the wind forecast as very low I made the snap decision to head for the ridge. Unfortunately for Wilson I had to leave him at home as I never new if he could handle the ridge. (This was the only time so far he has not been with me.)

I basically stuck to the route off Walkhighlands site.. But descended south at the summit of Sgorr Nam Fiannaidh, heading for the East tip of Loch Achtriachtan and on to the A82, this left me only a 3-4 km hike East to the car park.

Path junction prior to Meall Dearg summit.JPG

first view of the ridge.JPG

ready for the Lum.JPG

3 guys on the ridge.JPG

Scary bits.JPG

Scary bits (1).JPG

Scary bits (2).JPG

Scary bits (3).JPG

Scary bits (4).JPG

down to Loch.JPG

down to Loch (1).JPG

Sgorr Nam Fiannaidh (1).JPG

towards Stob coire nan Lochan.JPG

trainning exersize.JPG

Looking back (1).JPG

Looking back (3).JPG

Cracking day was had, never met to many people on the hill all day .. and the most interesting person i met was a very very young lad of 8 years old yes thats right 8 years old. He was with his Dad, i caught up with them at the end of the crazy pinnacles. I just had to shake the young guys hand, had time for a quick chat then went on my way. AMAZING
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Another Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby monty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 pm

Well done Dave,
As you say a few reports on this walk lately. You got some reasonable weather so it probably wasn't too hot. Nice pictures all the same. I bet Wilson was pining all day hahaha
monty

Postby bazer100 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm

yeah well its a cracking adventure and i dont think you can have too many reports on this, very well done! its in a diffrent league altogther and was a good report, really want to do this one, defo on the to do before i die list! well done and thanks for sharing

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby weemistermac » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 am

davetherave wrote: Unfortunately for Wilson I had to leave him at home as I never new if he could handle the ridge. (This was the only time so far he has not been with me.)

I can see why Wilson didn't accompany you. I think I'll leave my lad behind as well when I get to do this one. Thanks for the report Dave.
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Well done dave. I'd agree it doesn't seem to be a place for a dog....but i've heard others before mention taking dogs over - no idea how by looking at some of the chimneys, etc to go up....maybe they were talking nonsense!
Anyone seen a dog do the ridge?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Well done! Not quite the weather we were promised, but sounds like you got it better than some areas. That swirly cloud can sometimes make things even more impressive.

HighlandSC wrote:Anyone seen a dog do the ridge?

Supposedly there are dogs who have completed all of the Munros, so I imagine it must have been done. Maybe they go in the rucksack for the really awkward bits?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 pm

I wonder if the dogs have been across the hard part in the ridge though? (they could have done the AE for cowards route as per our own MC). I remember Peter Sinclair and his boxer finished a round last year - the dog got hauled up the inn pinn in a harness :shock: : http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/kerry-is-top-dog-as-she-bags-all-283-munros-1.925502
HighlandSC

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Good point - forgot about the other options.

Here's an article about it I remember reading some time back:
http://www.mcofs.org.uk/mag_sm27_page7.asp
malky_c

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Interesting article that. Liked this snippet :lol: :
http://www.mcofs.org.uk/mag_sm27_page7.asp wrote:Cats it seems just don't rate the Munro-bagging game at all though it has to be said the Siamese cat of Fiona Wilkie tried its hand for a time and enjoys the dubious distinction of summiting some 45 Munros and has been given honourable mention in print from time to time. Fiona's feline companion can claim credit for but one unaided ascent, that of Beinn Eighe, content for the most part to be carried in her owner's rucksack. How many of us in breathless search for that elusive cairn might have wished to be temporarily metamorphosed into a small dog or cat the better to be transported aloft?
HighlandSC

Postby weemistermac » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:04 pm

My back is (and nerves are!) bad enough without trying to negotiate a narrow, rocky ridge whilst carrying a 6 stone writhing labrador on my back! :D
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Posting that inspired me to post in the cat thread!

weemistermac wrote:My back is (and nerves are!) bad enough without trying to negotiate a narrow, rocky ridge whilst carrying a 6 stone writhing labrador on my back!

Does depend on the size of the dog I suppose!
malky_c

Postby magicdin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:12 pm

malky_c wrote:Good point - forgot about the other options.

Here's an article about it I remember reading some time back:
http://www.mcofs.org.uk/mag_sm27_page7.asp

Re :Robert MacDonald and his two dogs (Vayjen and Kerranan) as mentioned in that piece
I've enjoyed a few days on the hill over the years with Robert, the first day was on Skye in 1987
when we and the two dogs went up Am Basteir.
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:13 pm

dogs notwithstanding.......very well done davetherave - great report. I posted mine a week or so ago (from last year) with better weather, but nothing like the atmosphere of your cloudy ridge. Brings it all back so clearly....I'm away for a lie down in a dark room
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby davetherave » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey Guy's

Thanks again for the comments, had a great day. Doing this ridge all on my own made for a very exciting day.

Im very surprised nobody commented on the last bit of my report............. Quote below. :)

davetherave wrote:.. and the most interesting person i met was a very very young lad of 8 years old yes thats right 8 years old. He was with his Dad, i caught up with them at the end of the crazy pinnacles. I just had to shake the young guys hand

In my eye's this young lad was a true superstar :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Mrs T » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 am

one would have thought I'd learned from last time (considerable effort required to get myself together after reading an In Pin report followed by and AE one), but no... Why did I look at this, it's way too early for whisky :(

Wonderful photos though, when I manage not to picture myself in there.
Mrs T
Munro compleatist

Munros:246   Corbetts:17
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland