walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Melmerby Fell

Melmerby Fell

Postby andy63 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Melmerby Fell

Date walked: 22/09/2016

Time taken: 4.4

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 610m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

NB. approximate route

From a distance (you can see it from the M6 or from the eastern Lake District), Melmerby Fell doesn't look like a separate hill. It's just a bump on the long boggy ridge that sprawls northwards from Cross Fell.
The easiest way up would be from near the cafe at the top of Hartside pass, from where you could walk along the ridge with a minimal amount of ascent, but I decided on a longer walk starting from Melmerby village.

IMG_0700.JPG

The signposted track goes up through some woodlands and out onto the open fell. The main path takes a winding route to Knapside Hill, but I headed straight up towards the rocks on Melmerby High Scar.

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

On the way up I passed the entrance to an old mine.

IMG_0706.JPG
Old mine entrance

This was probably as close as you could get to a steep ascent on this hill, although it wasn't hard to find a grassy rake leading up between the rocks.

IMG_0708.JPG
Melmerby High Scar

IMG_0709.JPG

I then had to climb over a stone wall before heading up to the flat grassy summit area.

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG
Melmerby Fell summit (709m) with view of Cross Fell

IMG_0715.JPG
Eden valley and Lake District

The ridge over Knapside Hill to Fiend's Fell was mostly easy walking, but a bit boggy in places.

IMG_0718.JPG
Knapside Hill summit

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG
Fiend's Fell

IMG_0723.JPG
This gate was so muddy it was easier to just climb over the fence.

IMG_0725.JPG

Fiend's Fell is a Nuttall summit with a relative height of 27m, so it's conceivable that it could turn into a Hewitt next time they measure it.

IMG_0726.JPG
Fiend's Fell summit (634m)

Descending Fiend's Fell, I ignored the path heading towards Hartside Cafe, and headed straight downhill until I came to an old track, which I guess would have been the main road to Alston before the A686 was built.

IMG_0727.JPG
Descent

IMG_0728.JPG

I avoided the traffic on the main road by following this track and then a minor road back to Melmerby. However, I wouldn't recommend the narrow lane between Hazel Gill and Melmerby to anyone who doesn't like getting wet.

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG
andy63

Munros:60   Corbetts:6
Grahams:7   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Melmerby Fell

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Looks like that longer walk was a good choice andy, not sure about that last road pic :crazy: they need some drainage really badly on there :wtf:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland