walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar from Braemar via Glen Callater

Lochnagar from Braemar via Glen Callater

Postby MusicalHiker » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 26/06/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 27 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is Lochnagar from Glen Callater, not from Glen Muick!
I've had a go at drawing my route on the map… the distance is taken from that, so might not be exact!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

At last, I managed to climb Lochnagar, and not the normal route from Loch Muick!
Staying in Braemar, it was either a case of drive 40 miles there and back and do the tourist route, or set off from Braemar and have a wilder, longer walk, which is what I chose, and I'm very glad I did. I hope this helps anyone else going from this end, as there wasn't much available on the subject. The path is on the OS map from Callater Lodge, and in good conditions it's simple but long.

Weather was pretty awful most of the time the week I was in Braemar, but I saw an opportunity on Sunday morning and I took it. I was up at 6am and by 7.15 I was driving the very short distance to park up and start off with the bike. The midges were eating me alive! I set off cycling along the very long track, wondering why I was totally knackered already… on the way back I discovered it's a bit of a hill, and sailed down it on the return almost without pedalling!
DSC_0039.jpg

I cycled the couple of miles or so until I came to the lodge, and I locked my bike to the flagpole, just in case of bike thieves!

I took a couple of minutes figuring out exactly where the path was, but I found it and started to climb, delighted that the sun was emerging. If you look closely you can see the bike by the flagpole!
DSC_0041.jpg

The path is well made and easy to follow. Flocks of young grouse scattered around me as I gained height, admiring the views.
DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

There are several other big hills up here, would be easy to include a few more and I was tempted, as you skirt around them just below the summits, but I had a concert to play that night so thought I should be sensible. Shame I wasn't a bit more careful with the sunscreen, I had a headband stripe across my head for the rest of the summer!

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

The path is good for much of the way, it got a bit fainter as I got higher, and followed it around the other hills, but it was no problem and the visibility was perfect with great views all round. It felt very remote and exciting, and I didn't pass a single other person until I got to the summit.
DSC_0087.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg

I stopped for some food on a rock and had a rest. It's a long way, and I saved a lot of time by taking the bike up the track into the glen.
More photos…
DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0095.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg

You really don't see the summit coming. It was a bit of a surprise to me, as it looks so different coming at it this way. It was suddenly there! And so were the crowds…. it seemed like a hundred people had come up the Loch Muick way, and some of them were sat on the top loudly talking on FaceTime to their friends at the Golf Club… I resisted the urge to shove them off the edge and sat somewhere quieter for my lunch.
DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg
DSC_0110.jpg

I walked a while towards Meikle Pap, but couldn't make it in time as I had a concert to play that night so I will have to go back another time! It did give me those wonderful views into the corrie!

I made my way back along the same path, getting back to the bike just as the rain swept in. By the time I had cycled back to the car it was chucking it down, so the camera was packed away and I was just delighted to have made the most of the weather.

DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0117.jpg
Last edited by MusicalHiker on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Lochnagar from Braemar via Glen Callater

Postby FromDownSouth » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Stunning scenery and love the photograph of where the Stag is looking at you :clap:
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes looked brilliant - Used to be one of my favourite walks - Get the bus to Braemar, go up Callater way, across various tops, then down to Balmoral for the bus home. Didn't often get such braw weather or take such braw photos as you though 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

That looks a really good route. A lovely way to enjoy peace and solitude. Nice photos especially like the stag.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Enjoyed that - great photos. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby MusicalHiker » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks folks… I was very lucky with the weather that day and the loch looks so beautiful from up there…
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland