walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A "Perfect Day", some reindeers, and Cairn Gorm

A "Perfect Day", some reindeers, and Cairn Gorm

Postby Joehill » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Route description: Cairn Gorm and the northern corries

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 24/09/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s always about perspectives. You know, Lou Reed’s song “Perfect Day” actually just depicts a day in the park or at the zoo, and some “Netflix-and-chill-stuff” in the night, something that one might understand as pretty ordinary or even mundane. But of course there is more to it, something about being in love, and something about feeling like being more than oneself, and I believe it is these types of sensations that give Lou the perspective he needs to perceive what is perfect.

Anyways… Cairn Gorm could potentially be the easiest Munro one could ever choose to ascend, first driving approximately half the way up the mountains to the car park, and well there, grab some Starbucks coffee before taking the funicular railway up to the station near the summit. From this station, it is easy to take the “stairs” all the way to the top… Well, the stairs are not really reaching all the way to the top, but luckily (if lacking navigation skills) the cairns are lined up with probably one meters distance towards the summit. This could be it, but if you have some ambition to do hiking, it is a much better option to take the path westwards from the car park and head towards Creag an Leth-choin.

Still, on this track you will experience the Cairn Gorm luxury with gravel and stones placed in a perfect path for you, and it will be noting but a pleasant walk upwards. Even drenches have been placed along the path, keeping the bog factor closer to zero. Basically it is a very pleasant walk up the slopes and if you turn your head around you have great views towards Glen More Forest Park and ahead of you the impressive Cairn Lochan.

IMG_0327.jpg

Really cool colours in this light, and luckily a rainbow captured as well!

gg.jpg

Cairn Lochan ahead!

Well up the west side of Cairn Lochan, one enters waste plains of grass and moss that expands to the distance. Views of Ben Macdui invites your imagination to future adventure, and it is defiantly my wish to one day continue along the paths leading into the wilderness and hearth of the Cairn Gorm national park. But, today is a bit of teaser and still I’m very happy to do the circuit to Cairn Gorm instead.

IMG_0340.jpg

Towards the hearth of Cairn Gorm National park!

As we made the turn north east back to Cairn Gorm, I could to my surprise see reindeers in front of me, and although the Cairn Gorm national park in general shares much of the nature with northern Sweden from where I’m from, I had not expected this! These animals, that are herded by the ethnic Lappish people in Sweden, are truly beautiful to watch in these magnificent landscapes, and surprisingly they showed no fear as we walked close among them, perhaps verifying the fact that humans for long had a close relationship with this species.

IMG_0347.jpg

Amazing to see!

Untitled-2.jpg

A albino reindeer, that really stood out from the herd

Talking about sensations of feeling more than oneself, I think it is always striking and a bit overwhelming how these highland walks enforce a sensation of how profoundly we are connected to nature, and that we are all well-integrated pieces of it. In this sense, although tiny pieces, we are all part of something much greater. It is a sensation of nature’s perfection that includes you; you know that “perfect day” type of thing.

Untitled-3.jpg

My personal interest in moss... :lol:

We took a short break behind some rocks in shelter from the winds, looking down the valley with Allt Coire an t-Sneachda far below, and after the flat walk upon the plains my impression was that everyone in our gang, at this point, was more than ready to make it up Cairn Gorm without any problems.

IMG_0375.jpg

Allt Coire an t-Sneachda

So we continued, and as predicted everything went pretty smooth, and it turn out that the final stage of our walk was done pretty quickly and well up on the top, we could once again enjoy the Cairn Gorm luxury, taking the steps down from the summit, being a bit lazy taking the funicular railway down to the car park, and being a bit chill enjoying some Starbucks coffee and warm ourselves inside the café.

unspecified.jpg

The team of the day excluding the camera man, that was included in the team!

With the right sensations there is potential for perfection, and to me this day was just perfect!
Joehill
Hill Bagger

Munros:49   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A "Perfect Day", some reindeers, and Cairn Gorm

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:49 pm

I agree with you that going round the coires is a great way to approach Cairngorm and you got some lovely photos, especailly the reindeer. I enjoyed your report, thank you for sharing.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland