walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morven, the baker and a long, long walk

Morven, the baker and a long, long walk

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Route description: Morven and Maiden Pap

Fionas included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 25/09/2016

Distance: 15.55 km

Ascent: 600m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On a 12th November in the mid 1830s Robert Dick, baker of Thurso, wrote to his sister,

“On Tuesday last I set out at two o’clock in the morning to go to the top of Morven. Morven is a hill to the south of this, and by measurement on the map 28 miles as the crow flies. But taking into account the windings and turnings of the road—up hill, down hill, and along valleys—it is a good deal more : say 32 miles from Thurso to Morven top.

“For the first 18 miles I had a road: the rest of the way was round lochs, across burns, through mires and marshes, horrid bogs, and hummocky heaths. I tucked up my trousers, and felt quite at ease, though I was ankle deep, and often deeper, for fifteen minutes on end, and sometimes more. When I had a marsh to wade I had it level, but when I had heather I had an awful amount of jumping. ... At last, however, I found myself on the top of the famous Morven.

“My object in ascending the hill was to gather plants, and of course I went up the steepest face to get among the crags and stones near the top. Morven is poor in plants. I found nothing new. True, the season was too far gone, but there in sheltered spots many of them still lived.

“I reached Morven top at eleven o’clock A.M. and left it at two p.m. It was now mid-day. The river of Berridale runs at the foot of Morven. The best way of getting over it is to wade through it; but what of that? The Highlandman walks best when his feet are wet, and so does the Lowlandman, if he could only be persuaded to try. In going to Morven I had waded no fewer than six burns, and at least a score of marshes. My feet had not been dry since seven in the morning.

“The night became windy and stormy. Tremendous sheets of hailstones and rain impeded my progress, so much so that I thought, as Burns says, that ‘ the deil had business on his hand,’ and that he was determined to finish my course with Morven. But no! In spite of hail, rain, wind, and fire (in fact I had them all), I got home at three o’clock on Wednesday morning, having walked, with little halt, for about twenty-four hours. I went to bed, slept till seven o’clock, then rose, and went to my work as usual. Sixty miles is a good walk to look at a hill.

And a contemporary view of Morven that perhaps Dick was familiar with.

Morven.jpg

(Surely Dick's letter has got to be a candidate for an 1830's Walk Report of the Month.)

Some have questioned whether it was possible to do this walk in the time Dick claimed, but he was a fit young man (mid 20s), who regularly walked 30 or 40 miles in one day to further his knowledge of natural history, fitting his trips around his work as a baker. Without knowing his exact route I would have thought this comes within Naismith's rule, Morven is only 700 metres high and the route there is largely flat. It certainly would be possible by some of the people who regularly post here!! What do others think?

Who was Robert Dick, baker of Thurso? Apart from being the town baker he was a very active natural historian with wide ranging interests which he actively researched both by reading the latest scientific publications and carrying out his own practical work. He was in contact with several well kent Victorian geologist, botanists and entomologists but Dick never sought fame for himself. Much of what we know about him comes for Samuel Smiles.

I became intrigued with Dick's walk and his choice of hill after hearing about him at an excellent local history meeting, so Morven slotted itself into my (our?) 'to do' list, but this tiny Caithness hill (yes I know it's the highest hill in Caithness :? ) never became a priority … until we had 4 dog free days which we planned to use on big hills in the west before spending time with family in Gairloch. At this point the weather intervened, the west, and even most of the east, looked dire, but the far northeast looked really bonny. Suddenly Morven became our target and Dick our hero. No way were we going via Thurso, the standard route in from Braemore would do – and Morven alone was our goal. Unlike Dick we had a late start – 11am.

There is a small car park just before the lovely bridge over Barridale Water

Follow the path to the old cottage at Corrichoich, passing through the estate buildings at Braeval and a small band of forestry to gain views of Maiden Pap and Morven.

(Maiden Pap dominating despite being a mere 477 metres to Morven's 706). These two hills look as if they would be more at home in the northwest than among the gentle, rounded hills of the north east. Once past Maiden Pap there are clear views of Morven.

Carn Mor and the left, Morven with its 2 tops on the right

Morven with the old cottage at Corrichoich

The good track stops at the cottage so we followed faint paths through the grass and bog. We were aiming for the beallach between Carn Mor and Morven (as per the WH route). With hindsight we would have been better to go higher on the west ridge of Carn Mor, than trying to follow a line straight to the beallach as we ended up crossing a series of peat hags which cant be seen from the walk in, but fair slowed us up. Nothing like Dick's crossing of the Flow Country though!

Crossing one of the many hidden peat hags

When we reached the foot of the steep slope to the top we had a refueling stop before heading higher. There is a path in places which we found on the way up but not coming down. The path skirted some but led across other boulder fields, which was interesting. The rock on Morven is conglomerate, that is small harder bits of rock embedded in sedimentary rock which makes for very knobbly and unstable boulders. It was slow at first but we did get used to walking on this wobbly surface.

A flavour of the conglomerate boulder fields

(A photo does not do justice to the rockiness of this rock or to the steepness of the slope :lol: )

Our ascent was onto the lower of the 2 summits, from which there was an easy wander across to the true summit.

We hadn't really been aware of the stunning views on the way up, we were too concerned with actually getting to the top in one piece, but once we felt safe enough to look around the view were jaw dropping. At our feet was the Flow Country which Dick had crossed to get here. We could see north west to Ben Hope, north to Orkney, north east to Dunnet head and out to the north sea, south east to the Moray Firth and the Caingorms, the latter encased in cloud and what looked like heavy showers, and south west to the hills of Assynt, again the weather there looking fairly wet. The weather forecast was correct, on a grim day the far northeast was the place to be.

Looking north west towards Ben Loyal and Ben Hope - faint on the horizon

Zzoom to Ben Loyal, Ben Hope with its top in cloud

Looking north

Zoom to Orkney, with the Old Man of Hoy just about visible – well he was in reality!! Are the two bumps in the mid foreground Ben Graim Mor and Ben Graim Beg?

Looking north east towards Wick

These views certainly made me realise the vastness of the Flow Country

East back along out route in – with the other Caithness Grahams and Maiden Pap on the left

West to Small Mount, Morven's westerly neighbour with Ben Klibreck faint on the horizon

We had a leisurely lunch gazing out to Hoy, the views a magnificent payback for that wobbly rock. Eventually we had to face the trials of going down, but once passed the false summit we couldn't find the path we'd used coming up. That proved to be a benefit, after a bit of casting about we worked out our own, easier route down. Either we were becoming more adept at walking on rocking rock or we'd found more stable sections. On the way a heavy shower came bowling in from the southwest complete with hail and sleet. It didn't stay long and left a rainbow in its wake.

From the lower slopes we identified a less taxing route back, staying high on the flank of Carn Mor to avoid the peat hags. As a result our return to the track at Corrichoich was much quicker that on the outward journey.

Maiden Pap in the afternoon light
Image[/url]

Walking past Maiden Pap I noticed some geometric patterns on its lower slopes, which I hadn't seen in the morning. Are these the remains of peat cutting?

We were soon back at the car and then off down the road to Helmsdale for the night.

And Robert Dick? He often wrote to his sister of his exploits in the remote countryside in an effort to cheer her up when she was 'in low spirits'. He spoke of having a goal or purpose, of getting exercise in the open air as potential remedies and on one occasion used his experience as an allegory which he summarised with the words ...

“But I have no time to say out my say. Only this, sister, only this: never lose heart in the thickest mists you should ever get into; but take heart, for assuredly the sun will rise again, and roll them up and away, to be seen no more.”
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Morven, the baker and a long, long walk

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:10 pm

I had no idea the far north east was as interesting as this - your photos are great.

Love that last quote. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:04 pm

I wasa there a few days before you and had similar great views. I went on to climb Scaraben as well.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 pm

A superb read, especailly creating the sense of timelessness of the hills and the history of walking in them. Robert Dick was made of sterner stuff than me :lol:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Enjoyed reading that - thanks for sharing the historical parts too
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:09 am

A very entertaining story :D though I'm not sure I agree with Dick on "Sixty miles is a good walk to look at a hill" :lol: A bit to far to walk in one day for me :wink:

We had Morven and Scaraben on our radar earlier this year but went on to do something else in the end (how typical of me, never stick to plans!). I knew they were crackers since I first saw them from the summit of Beinn Dhorain. Is there any info on stalking for this area, I couldn't find anything online? Most estates don't stalk on Saturdays/Sundays so guess a weekend day should be OK to do them, if weather stays favourable?
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby tweedledog » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:49 am

Greatly enjoyed that. Thank you.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby RiverSong » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Very enjoyable read, especially the historical part. I heard a similar story once about an Edinburgh lawyer who was invited to a dance in Falkirk, 25miles away. He walked there, spent the night dancing then walked all the way home, and was at his desk ready for work at eight o clock the next morning. They were very hardy in those days, and also seemed to have a sense of pride in their work, which I often think is missing these days.

Thanks for sharing, nice photos.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Thank you all for your comments - I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one intrigued by Robert Dick's walk.

RiverSong wrote:I heard a similar story once about an Edinburgh lawyer who was invited to a dance in Falkirk, 25miles away. He walked there, spent the night dancing then walked all the way home, and was at his desk ready for work at eight o clock the next morning. They were very hardy in those days, and also seemed to have a sense of pride in their work, which I often think is missing these days.

The motor car has taken away some of the challenge, but then how many of us could get to the hills so easily with one? :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:A very entertaining story :D though I'm not sure I agree with Dick on "Sixty miles is a good walk to look at a hill" :lol: A bit to far to walk in one day for me :wink:

We had Morven and Scaraben on our radar earlier this year but went on to do something else in the end (how typical of me, never stick to plans!). I knew they were crackers since I first saw them from the summit of Beinn Dhorain. Is there any info on stalking for this area, I couldn't find anything online? Most estates don't stalk on Saturdays/Sundays so guess a weekend day should be OK to do them, if weather stays favourable?

We were there on a Sunday so no stalking problems. We didn't see signs about stalking, but we did see several about grouse shooting, and the debris outside one of the estate buildings suggested some recent shooting activity. Would definitely recommend a trip up here. :D

tweedledog wrote:Greatly enjoyed that. Thank you.

Cairngorm creeper wrote:A superb read, especailly creating the sense of timelessness of the hills and the history of walking in them. Robert Dick was made of sterner stuff than me :lol:
Me too :lol: :lol:

weaselmaster wrote:Enjoyed reading that - thanks for sharing the historical parts too
Thanks - it was the story that sparked the walk - not being a systematic graham bagger :lol:

bootsandpaddles wrote:I wasa there a few days before you and had similar great views. I went on to climb Scaraben as well.
We'll be back for Scaraben and friends the next time the weather sends us north east - although to be fair its not too far from home anyway :D

dogplodder wrote:I had no idea the far north east was as interesting as this - your photos are great.

Love that last quote. 8)

Definitely to be recommended :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Inntinneach gu dearbh ...very interesting i don't know this corner of Scotland at all , must sórt that out ....cheers :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Inntinneach gu dearbh ...very interesting i don't know this corner of Scotland at all , must sórt that out ....cheers :D
Well worth a visit - I'm a bit ashamed it has taken me so long :shock:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Enjoyed that - very interesting and a great set of photos. Amazing how striking these hills look against the flat ground around them. Haven't been to Helmsdale and Brora for a very long time but hadn't realised the hills looked like this just round the corner - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:35 pm

rockhopper wrote:Enjoyed that - very interesting and a great set of photos. Amazing how striking these hills look against the flat ground around them. Haven't been to Helmsdale and Brora for a very long time but hadn't realised the hills looked like this just round the corner - cheers :)
Thanks RH - it's a really rewarding spot - I'm grateful to the person who told me the Robert Dick story and whetting my appetite :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland