walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tyndrum: Beinn Odhair

Tyndrum: Beinn Odhair

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:58 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Odhar

Date walked: 01/08/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.25 km

Ascent: 690m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set out from Tyndrum northwards following the West Highland Way. I then picked away up the broad shoulder of Beinn Odhair from a point where the WHW starts to lose height. There's no real path that I could find, but its easy enough ground and visibility below 1000m on the day was excellent. My route ultimately took me right past the mine workings. Those I saw weren't particularly deep but I still wouldn't want to drop into them picking my way down off the top.
There were good views across to other Corbetts in the group from the summit (but not for me today!)
There was an obvious track up from Tyndrum that runs up quite close to the river and I'd decided to pick this up on the way down in order to walk a circular route of sorts. In the event it was easy enough to find and get down to from above and made a nice finish to the walk.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland