walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe (Sail Mhor)

Beinn Eighe (Sail Mhor)

Postby mountainsofscotland » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Date walked: 04/10/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18.3 km

Ascent: 1025m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Report removed.
Last edited by mountainsofscotland on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Re: Beinn Eighe (Sail Mhor)

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Yep, the best mountains are in the far NW :)

I also toyed with Torridon, and Skye, but the pull of Assynt was too strong.

I only realised Loopallu was on when I arrived in Ullapool. It was actually fine as I was up and away early.

Great report and photos. I did this for the first time last winter but I'd love to do it on a day like yours, I would certainly start earlier though ;)

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby willsdad » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Stunning photo's!! :clap:

Did you notice any spots that would be good for a 'higher' overnight camp? I past through that area in May this year following the CWT and I'm fancying heading back April/May 2017 to spend a week wandering about.

Probably using the Caravan Club Camp site as a base but stopping out on longer days. Beinn Eighe is a definite overnight target. :)
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby kev_russ » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Saw your twitter pics. Knew u would have a cracker of a report :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Looks like the art came from the same school as this one, found on the ridge of Ben Mor Coigach, but apparently now "deconstructed". I liked it, but not where it was. S/He hasn't filled in the centre in yours, so I don' know if s/he ran out of time!! I would have guessed Andy Goldsworthy, but can find no matching pic when googled.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:14 pm

dooterbang wrote:Yep, the best mountains are in the far NW :)

I also toyed with Torridon, and Skye, but the pull of Assynt was too strong.

I only realised Loopallu was on when I arrived in Ullapool. It was actually fine as I was up and away early.

Great report and photos. I did this for the first time last winter but I'd love to do it on a day like yours, I would certainly start earlier though ;)

Cheers.

Thanks Dooterbang. Yes setting off from home around 04:30 would have been better than 07:30 but the long lie was good :D

willsdad wrote:Stunning photo's!! :clap:

Did you notice any spots that would be good for a 'higher' overnight camp? I past through that area in May this year following the CWT and I'm fancying heading back April/May 2017 to spend a week wandering about.

Probably using the Caravan Club Camp site as a base but stopping out on longer days. Beinn Eighe is a definite overnight target. :)

I too am keen to camp up in the coire but I didn't spot anywhere obvious around the loch. The coire wall is very steep so a camp would likely need to be down at the lochside.

kev_russ wrote:Saw your twitter pics. Knew u would have a cracker of a report :)

Thanks Kevin.
mountainsofscotland

Postby mountainsofscotland » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Sgurr wrote:Looks like the art came from the same school as this one, found on the ridge of Ben Mor Coigach, but apparently now "deconstructed". I liked it, but not where it was. S/He hasn't filled in the centre in yours, so I don' know if s/he ran out of time!! I would have guessed Andy Goldsworthy, but can find no matching pic when googled.

Hi Squiz, yes I linked to your pic on my Twitter feed discussing this. The one on Ben More Coigach looked much worse than the one on Sail Mhor. Hopefully whoever it was has since seen sense and stopped doing this. Glad to hear this one has been deconstructed.

PS I gave you a mention in my Beinn Tharsuinn report two days previous to this one. Your report was useful, thanks :clap:
mountainsofscotland

Postby gaffr » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:54 am

Sail Mhor was the first of the Eighe tops that we reached after a day on the Liathach traverse. March, early Sixties, with snow welded to the hill, and of course a descent in darkness.
Next day probably not being too aware of what was the main summit of Eighe we cut the corner into the big Coire and ended up at the col between S Mhor and with access to the other three main tops of the bIg hill.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland