walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond circuit

Ben Lomond circuit

Postby U059361 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 03/10/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Plenty of room in the car park this morning, free parking even for those that want it. There is work going on along the path lower down and it is much improved since I was last here. It is really only once you are on the open hill that the path is rougher but the going is good all the way to the top.
ImagePath from Loch Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There were passing clouds forming around the top all day but they were being blown clear by a stiff wind, it was noticeably cold on the final shoulder before the top to make me put another layer on, so wind chill was significant.
ImageView over Trossachs from Ben Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCloudy corrie, Ben Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageClearing up, summit Ben Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Plenty of people walking today, but nearly everyone went back down the way they walked up. I think the steep drop down off the top to go over to Ptarmigan puts most people off. It is a bit of a scramble on the first part but gets easier with each subsequent drop.
ImageRoute down to Ptarmigan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There has been work on the path even here. There are further improvements being done over at Ptarmigan as the bags of boulders testify. Had my lunch here as I could find a sheltered spot out of the wind. Arrochar Alps for a view.
ImageBen Lomond with cloud turbulence by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageArrochar Alps by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImagePtarmigan top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Again the drop down from Ptarmigan is a much improved path and it is relatively easy to go down the ridge.
ImagePath down from Ptarmigan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageThe rock fall by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Beyond the gate the path is tighter and rougher, rocky and wet in bits but still nothing arduous and once through the final gate at the woods it is an easy walk back to the car park.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Ben Lomond circuit

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Nice pics, nice to see the Ptarmigan route in photos. Thanks!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: Ben Lomond circuit

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Love the cloud around the upper slopes.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland