walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Short jaunt from St Andrews

Short jaunt from St Andrews

Postby ColinBrough » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:43 am

Route description: The Rock and Spindle, from St Andrews

Date walked: 04/10/2016

Distance: 4.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started just after lunch from the leisure centre car park - says its private/for users of the leisure centre only, but there doesn't seem to be any enforcement beyond the gates being shut overnight...

Fairly brisk climb to the top of the cliffs at the start of the walk, but good path and well made, shallow steps. Views from the top of the cliff are great - out over north sea, or back towards St Andrews (these are easier to take in on the walk back). Quite exposed to any wind off the sea.... A little over half way to the Rock and Spindle the walk descends to nearer sea-level again - these steps were slick with moisture even on a dry day, and somewhat tricky. From here to the Rock and Spindle a lot of the path has large stones, almost like stepping stones - annoyingly set a little closer together than my natural stride length!!

Sunny at the start of the walk, became grey as I got round to the Rock and Spindle, and then sunny breaks as I got back to St Andrews.

Took the two hours, but stopped and took photos at several points along the way (sorry, not processed them yet!), and sat for 20 minutes on the rocks by the Spindle.... A nice chance to explore a part of St Andrews (which I thought I knew well) that I hadn't taken in before.
ColinBrough
Mountaineer

Munros:41   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:4

Re: Short jaunt from St Andrews

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Are you to Colin Brough I think you might be (ie married to Helen)?

And whether you are or not - welcome to Walk Highlands and keep the reports coming! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland