walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Curved Ridge, Buachaille Etive Mor

Curved Ridge, Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby neilist » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 03/10/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A stunning day for a brilliant route. After tackling the Aonach Eagach ridge last year and finding it very enjoyable and not too scary my mate and I thought Curved Ridge would be a logical next step for some scrambling experience. Finally got a chance to do the route this year. A beautiful day with great air clarity. Let's do it !
I had walked the Coire na Tulaich route a few years ago and loved it, my mate had never explored Buachaille Etive Mor.
Well Curved Ridge was fantastic, just loads of fun, there is exposure and plenty of scrambling but the holds are always there. The crux requires a big step up initially and the people in front were using a rope for this. We didnt find it a problem, although we are both quite tall which helped. What a situation it is, watching climbers on the Rannoch Wall and looking at the vastness of Rannoch Moor. We walked in from Altnafeadh and didnt have a problem finding the start of Curved Ridge, I had done plenty of research (mostly on this site) and had printed out photos of the start.
Got to the top of Curved Ridge and then onto the summit of Stob Dearg via Crowberry Tower route. Endless brilliant views from a busy summit. We then walked the whole ridge to the second Munro Stob na Brioge. Walked back via the Lairig Gartain to the sound of roaring stags. Very tired but very happy with such a classic mountain day. Heres some photos from the day.
1.jpg
Curved Ridge left of Rannoch Wall

2.jpg
On curved Ridge

3.jpg
Looking up the route

4.jpg
On the crux

5.jpg
Looking down Curved Ridge

6.jpg
Near the top of Curved Ridge

7.jpg
To Loch Lhinne

8.jpg
Checking the view

9.jpg
To Bidean Nam Bian

10.jpg
Aonach Eagach

11.jpg
Buachaille Etive Beag

12.jpg
Summit of Stob na Broige

13.jpg
Endless views

14.jpg
Glen Etive

15.jpg
We were being watched
neilist

Munros:135   Corbetts:16
Fionas:10   

Re: Curved Ridge, Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Congratulations - brilliant photos and a fantastic experience :clap: :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Curved Ridge, Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby jacob » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Agree with h&p. Looks like a very fine and enjoyable scramble. :clap:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland