walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ann an cùl dùthaich ..In the back country

Ann an cùl dùthaich ..In the back country

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Laga, Meall nan Each

Date walked: 09/10/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 548m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ann an cùl dùthaich Àrd na Murchan ..... In the back of country of Ardnamurchan ón Sunday an area seldom visited by baggers and the like but a good example of why height is not always important ! .....

I had been out in East Sutherland Corbetting (Carn a' Chunnaig ) ón Thursday during a visit to my daughter in Inbhir Nis and with a good forecast for Sunday intended reaching 60 Corbetts today ,however in the end decided to hang about at home.

We are spoiled for routes around the coast here that include a number of sub 2000's where the views are super and the walking a pleasure and little visited.

My route was a circuit of Loch Laga taking in two subs from Camas Laga called Beinn Laga and Meall nan Each

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I have been ón Laga previously but never Meall nan Each and have always thought a wee circuit of these two would make a good shórt day out ... bha mi ceart gu dearbh ...and i was correct in my assumption.

You start at the small coastal settlement and farm of Laga Bay at a place called Allt Mor which is a big burn running down from the back country between the sea and Loch Sunart

IMG_8765.JPG
An toiseach ..the start

A wee path takes you up through a new plantation of broadleaves and onto the open hill which sits in a wee bowl between Beinn Laga and Meall nan Each

IMG_8766.JPG
An Coille

A steep wee climb but soon you have good sealtainn back to Eilean Charna sitting in the middle of Loch Sunart

IMG_8767.JPG
Eilean Carna

IMG_8768.JPG
Agus Oransaigh

There are varied routes through the rocky terrain which lead up to the summit of this surprisingly rocky sub 2000 and good fun can be had picking your way up gullies and wee slighe which permuate the hill

An hour sees you ón the mullach with good 360 degree views to the mainland hills and the islands .....

IMG_8769.JPG
Air a' Mhullach

IMG_8770.JPG
Sealltainn

IMG_8771.JPG
Agus a' ribhist

IMG_8772.JPG
Beinn resipole

Suidhe sinn air a' mhullach agus ghabh cupa tì .... we sat at the carn for a bit and had tea ,some good clear views as far South as Creach Bheinn néar Oban and way into Cnòideart , An t - Eilean Sgiathanach and Na Cùilthionn .
The Loch of Laga lies mid ground in the bowl between these two hills and is fished with a wee boat ón her and a shed still used ón the loch

IMG_8773.JPG
Loch Laga

I picked my way down one of the numerous gullies and to the foot of the glen , very dry given the recent good weather and good underfoot.

IMG_8774.JPG
An Loch

The rut is well underway and plenty bawling and spotted a few fine Damh including this fella ón the way up to Meall nan Each.

IMG_8775.JPG
An Damh

Again many wee gullies to choose from and dry underfoot but steep enough to put you in the sweat we were soon ón the druim. Good views to the Moidart hills and beyond

IMG_8776.JPG
Loch Sgarbh agus Mùideart

IMG_8777.JPG
An Loch

IMG_8779.JPG
Camas an Lighe

IMG_8781.JPG
Beinn Hiant

IMG_8780.JPG
Na h-eileanan

There is a trig ón the summit and wee torran spread the length of the ridge ón Meall nan Each which give good perspectives to the surrounds and ón a good Autumn day like this hard to beat despite the relatively low stature of these two

IMG_8785.JPG
Trig

We spent another hour ón the summit lieing about before heading SW off down and over An Fhidhlier and other lumps and bumps all the time getting good views over into A' Mhorbhairne and over to Eilean Eige

IMG_8788.JPG
Tòrran

IMG_8787.JPG
Eilean Eige

Eventually you find yourself back down at the Loch where you hook onto a wee path which leads you easily to your starting point again

IMG_8790 (2).JPG
An cù

IMG_8791.JPG
An slighe

As i said earlier not always about the height and nó ................ size don't matter its the quality that counts and this walk offers loads . :wink:

Cheerie an nis

IMG_8786.JPG
An Ghille Dubh
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Ann an cùl dùthaich ..In the back country

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:22 am

That looked nice - great conditions for a wander. Had hoped to get over here for a camping trip but other commitments got it in the way - maybe next year - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:50 pm

These look even better than I thought they would - nice back yard :wink: . I still haven't been up Ben Hiant yet, never mind this pair.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Stunning views for such a wee walk :)

I'm sure you'll hot the 60 mark very soon :wink:

I better start doing subs... :shock:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:05 pm

dooterbang wrote:Stunning views for such a wee walk :)

I'm sure you'll hot the 60 mark very soon :wink:

I better start doing subs... :shock:

haha aye the subs are good at times especially ón the coast and the Corbetts tougher to get thán the Munros. You stick to finishing them big ones first and give mé a shout ón yer last one :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:06 pm

malky_c wrote:These look even better than I thought they would - nice back yard :wink: . I still haven't been up Ben Hiant yet, never mind this pair.

Give mé a shout if your over ..free berth available , walking distance to Corbett heaven and a back yard full off subs :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:07 pm

rockhopper wrote:That looked nice - great conditions for a wander. Had hoped to get over here for a camping trip but other commitments got it in the way - maybe next year - cheers :)

Pick dry and midgie free time RH :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:19 pm

In the back country indeed.

Hardly any distance from Glasgow and yet looked completely unspoiled.

I was impressed with the first cairn and also the fine looking trig point. Maybe its in such good nick because there haven't been thousands of baggers trying to get their carcasses on it! :shock: :shock:

Love the photo of the mighty stag, its a stoater!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi really enjoyed the report. I did Ben Hiant a couple of months ago and now back over in a few weeks for a couple of days. My priority is Resipol but these two as well hopefully on one of the other days (wife permitting). Wish I had the dog for company!! :wink:
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland