walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

F-f-f-f-fabulous Fuar Tholl

F-f-f-f-fabulous Fuar Tholl

Postby Sunny Speyside » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:35 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Fuar Tholl

Date walked: 08/10/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 1218m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

FFFFuar Tholl.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Early start and the stars were still twinkling in the night sky when I set off, originally planned to re visit Sgorr Ruadh as well but later decided to leave that for another day - I love the walk up into Coire Lair so any excuse to come back again and again and again :D .

Walk In.JPG

Walking in with the colours of the season all around accompanied by bellowing stags, once up in the Coire with no wind to carry away their roars I could hear it echo off the bare cliffs, I stood enthralled by the resonance until a response came from behind me and it sounded much too close for comfort so I had to get a bit of a wiggle on and continued my climb. Once off the stalkers path I came across a couple of hinds, totally unperturbed by the action going on around them.

Hinds.JPG

Getting up close to todays objective and I need to make a decision on the route, didn't much like the look of the direct route up the scree slope...

Fuar Tholl from Bhealaich Mhoir.JPG

But then again the Creag Mainnrichean looked a wee bit inhospitable too :shock:

Creag Mainnrichean.JPG

I just picked my route up and it didn't look too bad, though once on the climb it was a good bit steeper than I was expecting with lots of loose stuff underfoot, however thankfully dry.

Route Up.JPG

About half way up the scramble had a wee wobble as it dawned on me that I hadn't sent my route to Ewan therefore nobody knew where I was and I hadn't seen anyone else around, so in a state of mild panic I found a secure(ish) ledge and dug my phone out of my pack and hallelujah I had a signal so a quick call and a few squares of the emergency chocolate rations and I was on my way once more.
The sun was out by the time I reached the summit and afforded a long very leisurely lunch and a chance to explore in every direction. Wonderful views all around with Beinn Liath Mhor looking particularly special - must get back and do that ridge again.

Summit Selfie.JPG

Looking down on Achnashellach.JPG

Once again I considered the scree slope as return route but no, I just retraced my route back down to Bhealaich Mhoir - six points of contact on occasion :crazy:

Ptarmigan.JPG

Stopped for a second lunch once back on the stalkers path and I still had the whole place to myself...

Safely Back on Stalkers Path.JPG

Magnificent !
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland