walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh circuit

Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 02/10/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20.99 km

Ascent: 1283m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

CreagMeagaidhCircuit.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up at the Creag Meagaidh Nature reserve car park at 10pm. Usual routine of back seats down, sleeping mat and sleeping bag laid out with my Kindle books keeping me going until sleep. It was a very still, clear night and the stars were amazing to see.

I woke at 6am with engine noise from a nearby camper van. I assume they were using the engine to get extra heat. As I discovered, it had been a pretty cold night, I crawled out of my sleeping bag to find the car windows around me covered in ice and frost.

Having forced myself out of the warm sleeping bag, I was ready and walking by 7:30am.

Starting from the Creag Meagaidh Nature Reserve car park

The reserve buildings and facilities

A cold frosty morning

Sun rising over a misty Loch Laggan

A small cairn marks the 'path' ascending Na Cnapanan

Gaining height, looking back down on Loch Laggan

Eventually the 'Window' comes into view, giving a look at what will be todays final descent

Carn Laith summit cairn

Summit view to the days next targets, Creag Meagaidh in the center and Stob Poite Coire Ardair center right

View across Loch Laggan

Another view to Creag Meagaidh

Looking back to Carn Laith from Uinneag Coire a' Chaorainn

Stob Poite Core Ardair

Following the ridge from Coire a' Chriochairein

Carn Laith looking a long way back

The cliffs of Creag Meagaidh

Nearing the summit of Stob Poite Coire Ardair

Second summit of the day ... SPCA

Heading up Creag Meagaidh, 'Mad Megs' cairn is leading the way

Mad Meg's cairn, apparently an 18th Centuary suicide burial mound

Creag Meagaidh summit cairn

Summit views ...

Retracing my steps back past Mad Meg's cairn, its time to descend through the 'Window'

I managed to lose the path, but the boulder clambering was fun

Once through I found great views to the lochan and the path appeared again on my left

Looking back up at the Window

Lochan a' Choire

The walk back had some great scenery with native species in the Reserve

Last view back to Creag Meagaidh

Creag Meagaidh Photo Album
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Postby litljortindan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:39 pm

That does look a chilly morning frost but cracking weather, views, photos. Been round Coire Ardair but didn't quite manage the close up views I wanted because of the cornices so will have to make a return visit.

P.S. Do you have a car you can stretch out in to sleep or were you squashed up in a ball?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:10 pm

litljortindan wrote:That does look a chilly morning frost but cracking weather, views, photos. Been round Coire Ardair but didn't quite manage the close up views I wanted because of the cornices so will have to make a return visit.

P.S. Do you have a car you can stretch out in to sleep or were you squashed up in a ball?

As for the car, its an SUV. I put the back seats down and the front passenger seat forward. That gives me enough space to almost lie straight out, but with feet firmly against the boot. It works for me as I usually sleep on my side with knees slightly bent.

Much less fuss than pitching the tent
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:02 am

Frrrrosty! I like that! :lol: The landscape looks so fresh, almost crunchy!

It's been a while since we visited this trio, 2010 I think it was, a hot summer day... I'm hoping to do it again with snow on the ridge, early spring possibly. I remember we went up the window and to Megi first, then over the two other Munros, so for the repeat we might reverse the route.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Frrrrosty! I like that! :lol: The landscape looks so fresh, almost crunchy!

It's been a while since we visited this trio, 2010 I think it was, a hot summer day... I'm hoping to do it again with snow on the ridge, early spring possibly. I remember we went up the window and to Megi first, then over the two other Munros, so for the repeat we might reverse the route.

Thank BP. I think we'll be getting more frosty morning like that very soon!
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland