walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Postby teaandpies » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 09/10/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1155m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been wanting to do these hills for a good while with them as add ons to The Ring of Steall however I never ever made a genuine plan to get this done.

A friend of mine had been asking me all summer to take her out walking with me but our timetables never synchronised until the past weekend.
She's done a number of Munros and is a very fit active person so I was a little worried that I may end up embarrassing myself on this walk but everything turned out ok.

Having recently bought a new car she wanted to drive...bonus! We left Glasgow around 7am and got to the car park in Glen Nevis just after 9 with a wee stop in Glen Coe to admire the incredible morning light, my phone snaps do no justice to how incredibly beautiful it was.

An amazing morning in Glen Coe

Yep

New walking buddy

We found the car park and managed to get a space...luckily. It felt more like a caravan park with the number of motor homes parked up.

Start of the walk

The path is fine and fairly easy going for the first wee while a bit wet in places as you might expect. We did come across a rather unpleasant scramble at one point which hadn't seen mentioned in any reports I read. It was a large wet flat rock face with 2 streams of water coming down it. The path lead us right to it so I'm sure we hadn't gone wrong, anyway, with a few carefully placed steps we were up and over it with myself only suffering from a wet fleece sleeve.

Looking up Glen Nevis

We kept up a decent pace, my pal had 2 watch things to keep track of her time, kilometers, steps etc so I guess I never really had the choice to go slow :lol:

Actually, this brisk pace was fine with me because it was cold in the shade of the mountains. The high contrast was also a bugger for taking pictures.

A first good look at Stob Ban

Looking back to Fort William

Still a wee way to go

Once we reached the bealach the sunlight was welcome, it was warm :D but the views were south were great.

Bealach reached, views amazing

A first proper glimpse of Sgurr a'Mhaim and the Devils Ridge. The Devils Ridge doesn't looks so bad...

Sgurr a'Mhaim

Still plenty of up to go

Why do young people do this?

Ben Nevis & Sgurr a'Mhaim

Clear skies

The Ring of Steall

First look at Mullach nan Coirean

There's a few minor scrambles on the final accent but nothing at all difficult, the path does get pretty close to the ridge at a couple of points so be careful in cloudy conditions :lol: and if you don't fancy looking over the edge you can easily avoid these bits.

Atop of Stob Ban

No words

A last snap before leaving Stob Ban

We left Stob Ban on and it's annoying white rocky top and headed for the brick red path around the corries to our next Munro. The contrast in colours was exceptional, I'd seen it in pictures and video footage but there's nothing like the real thing.

Looking back up at the other side of Stob Ban

A well named hill

A wee ridge walk

The walk around the ridge was fine, a few wee scrambley bits but ahain, nothing hard. The last pull to the summit caught me out, I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath as they say.

The summit cairn was very impressive :D

Mullach nan Coirean's Summit

Looking back to Stob Ban

Goodbye Mamores...for today. I'll be back

Ach, young people :roll:

The walk off Mulloch nan Coirean was ok at first but got progressively more difficult because of the badly eroded path that follows the deer fence before getting very boggy the las 50 meters or so before the fence crossing point. Once you've crossed the fence it's a far better walk on a firm path then decent forestry road back to the where the car was parked.

The path down is rough

The path gets pretty boggy about here

Looking up Glen Nevis

Great walk with good company. I can't wait to get back to this area again.

Oh, as we were leaving the car park we noticed a pay and display box. We completely missed it on the way in so we didn't pay. Oops :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Postby ancancha » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Nice one tesandpies :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dogplodder » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:22 pm

We also followed a path to that rock face and wondered why WH hadn't mentioned it. Found out later it was because we'd missed the turn off to the left which would have avoided it. :wink:

Enjoyed your photos - what a day you got! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby teaandpies » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:10 pm

dogplodder wrote:We also followed a path to that rock face and wondered why WH hadn't mentioned it. Found out later it was because we'd missed the turn off to the left which would have avoided it. :wink:

Seems to be an easy thing to do there as paths go off in every direction. If its 'mistake' following that path the scare is significant so everyone mudt be making it?

The weather was cracking, perfect temperature but missing the summer days already.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:59 pm

teaandpies wrote:
dogplodder wrote:We also followed a path to that rock face and wondered why WH hadn't mentioned it. Found out later it was because we'd missed the turn off to the left which would have avoided it. :wink:

Seems to be an easy thing to do there as paths go off in every direction. If its 'mistake' following that path the scare is significant so everyone mudt be making it?

The weather was cracking, perfect temperature but missing the summer days already.

Enjoyed that. The Glencoe pictures are very atmospheric. And love the starjump photo :clap: :D
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby teaandpies » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:58 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
teaandpies wrote:

Enjoyed that. The Glencoe pictures are very atmospheric. And love the starjump photo :clap: :D

Yeah, that lassie is a tad more athletic than myself so those enthusiastic star jumps are easier for her :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland