walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pauline's halfway there, on the Wee Buachaille.

Pauline's halfway there, on the Wee Buachaille.

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:20 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 01/10/2016

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 944m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast all week had been good but if anything today looked like it was to be even better than the forecast. After travelling up the night before and arriving in darkness to be told that the camping pitches were flooded the only option was to find a place to park the car up for the night in one of the many parking areas at Tyndrum and sleep in the car. Not wanting to be in the car too long I decided to treat myself to a excellent strong black coffee from The Real Food Cafe and sit in there until closing time, then walk back the short distance to what was to be one of the most uncomfortable nights sleep I've had in ages, that section of road is pretty busy throughout the night so i found out with HGV's passing at regular intervals.
This was to be the day Pauline would hit the 141 number on Buachaille Etive Beag, halfway through the Munros having already knocked off an impressive eighty plus this year. Others to be there on the day was myself, Alan,Tommo, Joanne and family and good friend Izzy. The meet up time and place was the Green Welly at the back of nine, first to arrive was Izzy as I had seen her in her car passing the RFC as I was drinking my coffee to try and wake myself up after the night before. Not long after all the others turned up and within minutes were ready to hit the road.
Ah problem, Izzy could not find her house keys so decided she had to return home just in case she had left them in her door. The remainder of us headed off to the car park at the base of the hill before you head down Glen Coe just opposite the large cairn on the right hand side of the A82.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1b.JPG
Looking back to the filled car park, guess the hill is to be busy today then
2.JPG
Tommo and Alan gives the rest of us a wave from the well built path
4a.JPG
Tammi who we met up as we were climbing up towards the bealach and who we were to accompany a fair bit of the way during the day. Note these hills are well drained and there is no need for gaiters under these conditions, a pair of good trainers will do.
6.JPG
Before actually reaching the bealach there is a path heading off to the right take this if you are doing Stob Dubh first, Tammi on the 902m summit en route to the first Munro Stob Dubh
9.JPG
902m summit photo
10.JPG
Group photograph on Stob Dubh
13.JPG
Pauline on the South top overlooking Loch Etive in the distance. Although not classified it is well worth visiting for the stunning views down Glen Etive
14a.JPG
Heading back the way we had come to the bealach with the path up clearly visible on the left, there is a junction in the path down take the right fork and head for the stony bealach
14b.JPG
Bealach with the perfect spot for a cuppa at the big flat rocks in the middle prior to the final climb of the second Munro
14c.JPG
The young legs having a wee breather before the last bit of the climb, they all did very well and were running up sections with no complaints what so ever, at least I heard none
16.JPG
Looking back to the 902m summt and the actual summit much further South
18.JPG
Pauline hitting the halfway on the second Munro of the day Stob Coire Raineach 925m
19.JPG
Group celebrations on the summit
20.JPG
Heading over to a viewpoint to take more photographs
21.JPG
Looking down Glen Coe from on high
22.JPG
Looking over to the Corbett Beinn a' Chrulaiste 857m where a high wild camp is highly recommended for stunning views in all directions
23.JPG
Joanne taking in the views over Blackwater Reservoir
26.JPG
Youth enjoying the great outdoors, brilliant, would love to see more children being treated to a day on the hills
28.JPG
Looking over to the Buachaille Etive Mor
29.JPG
And the surprise of the day was left to the last photograph, Izzy went home and found her keys in the car park and returned in time to make the summit celebrations, what an ending to a fantastic day treated to brilliant company and superb views aplenty. Bring on the next hill day.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland