walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen by bike

Mount Keen by bike

Postby Knuckledragger » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Date walked: 11/10/2016

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi - I am thinking of doing a smash and grab raid on Mount Keen from Glen Esk on the way down from Aberdeen one day next week. Has anyone any experience of using a bike for the first few km up to Invermark Cottage and leaving it there before the uphill bits?

Thanks.... KD
Knuckledragger
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   
Hewitts:56
Wainwrights:80   

Re: Mount Keen by bike

Postby rockhopper60 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Have walked it a few times and seen people on bikes go as far as the holiday cottage and start hiking from there. The road / path in isn't to bad, softish in places, taking your bike would save some time especially coming down.
If you are really fit and dedicated I know a chap that cycled from Invermark over the top to Glen Tannar back over the Cairn oMount and back up Glen Esk for his car. :crazy:
rockhopper60
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Postby Knuckledragger » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks Rockhopper - sod biking over it, I'm just looking to avoid finishing the walk in the dark! Can't be any worse than the nutters biking down Ben Lawers on Sunday......

Just had a look at the Steve Fallon website, and the Mt Keen route on there includes biking to the cottage and walking from there.

All systems go for next week- just need to make sure they are not deer stalking when I give it a go!
Knuckledragger
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper60 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:54 pm

If anything up Mt Keen it would be driven grouse, I can walk it comfortably in about 6 hours in and out from Invermark.
rockhopper60
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Postby KatTai » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:27 pm

Knuckledragger wrote:
All systems go for next week- just need to make sure they are not deer stalking when I give it a go!

There is a number to call on the route description to find out where they are stalking, or as you have plenty of time there is an e-mail address as well. There is deer stalking up there though it's always been on the Loch Lee side when I've seen them doing that. I've always found the route along to Queens Well is better when shooting is going on (one of my dogs doesn't like the bangs).

It's a good enough track to bike along, though a bit bumpy in parts.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Knuckledragger » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks KT - have dropped them an email......
Knuckledragger
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland