walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A bog, a burn and a bird, a loop in Glen Artney

A bog, a burn and a bird, a loop in Glen Artney

Postby Justalittlefurther » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:50 am

Date walked: 12/10/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 654m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To cut a couple of tar-mac kilometers we drove up past the Bracklinn falls car park and parked beneath a bundle of shoes hanging from the telephone.

The starting line

As the road turned to track we headed through the Affric-esque orange grasses towards Aruvichardich.

An abandoned building in the sea of orange

The reservoir at Aruvichardich

A glimpse of Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin

At Aruvichardich we followed the main track into Glen Artney and towards Comrie. At the bridge over the Allt an Dubh Chorein, we stoppped and enjoyed the grandeur of Ben Vorlich, we were reassured that we were half-way at least.

The bridge over Allt an Dubh Chorein

Looking up the burn

A red red rowan at the bridge

An initially promising path follows the burn towards Ben Vorlich but the further we walked the more each foot squelched in the bog - this is worth noting as we have had a particularly dry-spell the last few weeks (it was hard to believe that today though). There is clearly no lack of rainfall around here as the burn has carved out a terrific gorge and a few brilliant pools. The yellow leaves of a well-placed tree gave us a break from the bog-slog we, along with ordnance survey, were calling a path.

A firm track at first...

Allt an Dubh Chorein

The yellow leaf path

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin sneaking up on us

Allt an Dubh Chorein - a stunning wee burn

The little of a path we had we lost when we crossed the burn at the second ruin of Dubh Chorein. The main path continues through Glen Vorlich to Loch Earn - one for another day - but we were taking the 'path' through a gap in the hills back to Aruvichardich and the reservoir. With a little help from the map, we regained the path and made steady progress up the hill - even saw a grouse. Soon we were looking south to the Fintry hills from the highest point of the day at just under 600m. From here you could probably follow the hill up to the summit of Stuc a' Chroin and round to Ben Vorlich.

Cross at the second ruin

Going up

It's all downhill from here

The reservoir and Fintry hills

The downhill was in no way glorious but the bellowing of the deer in rut compensated for the sore feet. The openness and quiet of this wilderness only a walk away from where I go to school left me in awe of the world. Back to the car. Fish n chips in Callander.
Justalittlefurther

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:12   

Re: A bog, a burn and a bird, a loop in Glen Artney

Postby SecretSquirrel » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:36 am

I enjoyed that. I'll need to remember this area and route. Ideal when the tops are in clag. :clap:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: A bog, a burn and a bird, a loop in Glen Artney

Postby Justalittlefurther » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:57 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:I enjoyed that. I'll need to remember this area and route. Ideal when the tops are in clag. :clap:

Yeah, definitely worth a walk round here!
Justalittlefurther

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:12   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland