walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Locherwood and Ladymuir Woodland

Locherwood and Ladymuir Woodland

Postby Robertgee » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Route description: Locherwood & Lady Muir Trail, Clyde Muirshiel

Date walked: 11/10/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day was to be very cloudy, but dry, so I decided to do the Locherwood and Ladymuir walk rather than venturing out onto the higher hills. This was a route I’d never done before, in an area where I seldom go walking, so it’s always nice to explore new places. It was a very enjoyable route, in which it felt like being in a very remote part of the country, despite not being far from Paisley and Glasgow. If you enjoy woodland and forest walks, this is one you’ll love. There’s a few points where there’s good views of the surrounding hills and countryside, also picnic tables and a wooden shelter which could be useful if the weather turns bad.
01-Locherwood.jpg
Locherwood

The route starts from the small car park and enters the community woodland of Locherwood. This looks to be the more popular and busier part of the walk, whereas Ladymuir has far less people venturing into its heart. During my walk, I only ever saw other walkers at the car park, so had the whole place to myself. Paths around Lockerwood were very good, then the walk enters Ladymuir, where the paths were a bit more muddy, but nothing all that bad. There were a couple of places as mentioned in the walks description, which did cause a little problem to get by with dry feet. These were crossing what I believe is called a floating bog. As if the area was a pool of water with a layer of peat and vegetation floating on top. When crossing this a large area would sink and spring back up again behind you as you walked, like walking on a big sponge. So boots are definitely recommended for this walk, use shoes or trainers, and you’ll end up with black peaty mud right up your ankles. Other than these two places, all other bad boggy bits were usually avoided by keeping close to the trees.
02-Strathgryfe.jpg
Strathgryfe

04-Stone bridge over Locher Water.jpg
Bridge over Locher Water

05-Locherwood.jpg
Locherwood

08-Locherwood.jpg
Picnic place

11-Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Ladymuir

13-Bridge over Locher Water, Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Bridge leading into Ladymuir

18-The path which will be the return route, Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
This is the path which the walk returns on

22-Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Another good spot for a break

24-Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Route continues up the valley

27-Source of Locher Water, Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Source of the Locher Water

28-Shelter in Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Shelter

While on the walk, it’s a good idea to head straight across the forest track at the far end of the walk, as mentioned in the walks description. Go to the forest edge, cross the style, and walk up the slope on the right, where you’ll get good views over the Clyde Muirshiel Park, towards Windy Hill and the hills beyond. After that return to the forest track and turn right to start your return journey. Along which you get some more good views toward Misty Hill and over to Johnstone and Paisley.
31-Over Windy Hill to Queenside Hill and Craig Minnan.jpg
View to Windy Hill and Queenside Hill

34-Starting along the return leg of the walk.jpg
Return route starts along this forest track

36-Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Ladymuir Woodland

37-Misty Law.jpg
View to Misty Law

38-Kaim Dam.jpg
Kaim Dam

40-View looking toward Johnstone and Paisley.jpg
View towards Johnstone and Paisley

I couldn’t find the second of the wooden shelters/bird watching hides, as mentioned in the walks description. Looks like it’s been removed, or buried under a load of wind fallen trees at that part of the route.
42-Clearing in Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Somewhere near this spot is where the second shelter is. Unfortunately I couldn't find it...maybe it's been removed?

44-Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Forest ride on the way back

46-Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Looking back over the second of the tricky to cross "floating bogs". Doesn't look too bad from here, but it definitely is!

49-Locher Water, Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Crossing back over the Locher Water

51-Locher Water, Ladymuir Woodland.jpg
Locher Water

54-Locherwood.jpg
Back in Locherwood
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland