walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Golden sunny Autumn in Kintail

Golden sunny Autumn in Kintail

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:40 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Conbhairean round

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 09/10/2016

Time taken: 5.18 hours

Distance: 18.04 km

Ascent: 1326m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

RK_gpx _2016-10-09_0826.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was almost one month since my last Mountains Trip :shock: ...but I had not any other option all the time as after my operation on the half of September the prognosis sounded cruelly: at least 4 weeks at home without doing anything...no any strain or difficultness for at least 6 weeks :crazy: :o :? so my hope was to get back to the mountains on the end of October. Hard to imagine to stay so long without a mountain, but hard to imagine to do any movement or hillwalking for me shortly after the operation...to be honest :? :( :roll:
Fortunately much better feelings in the 3rd week after and then the weather forecast looked really and unbelievably very good and what was more exciting the forecast was very promising for the West !!!
Mostly the West is rainy, foggy and without a good visibility comparing to the East which changed my plans many times before, but now...really great forecast and also dry days before the date made me think about the trip. Maybe a little risky still...but i started believe that everything will be all right and is time to try...take it easy...not a strain...a good ground for it there...And also my natural feelings and trust based on my evinced experience about healing power from the mountains made me determined to prepare for the hills finally ! :D :D :D
Kintail was one of my goals for this year and now was the great opportunity to get some views of the beautiful area including the whole South Glen Shiel Ridge which I did in summer 2015 in misty conditions so I would see how it looks from the distance :wink: I did also more Kintail Munros before and it was the another reason to get there now as I am usually not finishing an area, keeping still some hills there to do and spreading my trips across all country which gives me the opportunity - higher chance to chose the best from more areas in case of different weather forecast, keeping still some nearby hills for shorter winter days and also for my photo collection as I am trying to do the areas in different season to catch the beauty in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter :)
A little worried about my fitness after the month and also if the wound is healed enough, but believed, trusted to my feelings...determined ! Looking forward to feel the mountains ! :D
Originally i planned these 3 Munros together with their 2 neighbours, but the bad weather conditions there in my free days, oncoming shorter daylight and my ( probably ) limited condition made the decision done because the forecast for Kintail was extremely good and even better than other areas in Scotland...so better to use it now even separately than wait forever and also it's easier - gentle for me for the beginning :wink:
I can't describe the feelings which was also powered by the great weather...the feelings of nature...beauty...and the healing by the MOUNTAINS ! Such a beautiful golden day in Kintail :D :D :D
Kintail in Winter, Summer and Autumn in my photo records now...looking forward to catch the Spring there next time ! :D 8) :wink:

The Forecast:

1.jpg
Fresh Weather Forecast checked very early morning...looked more than promising
:D 8) :clap:

Some stops for morning's shots:

The Commando Memorial in sunrise - Spean Bridge

Loch Garry

The view over Loch Garry towards West...

...and towards East

Beautiful Autumnal morning in colours

The view over Loch Loyne from the top...

...and from the lower level

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

...and finally there ! :D

North of Loch Cluanie - 3 Munros my target...with the view of South Glen Shiel Ridge opposite...later on:

................................................................................................................................................................................................

...and here is the route from beginning:

The car park on A87 next to Loch Cluanie

Easy to find the initial path just across the road

Looking back towards the road A87 and Loch Cluanie

The path well signed even on the rocky ground :thumbup:

The views towards South

Nice path up

Towards South Glen Shiel Ridge over Loch Cluanie

Nearly on the top

Ben Nevis zoomed

The summit of Carn Ghluasaid, Sgurr nan Conbhairean in the background...some descents and ascents between

Closer to the 2nd Munro

Sgurr nan Conbhairean summit

Views from the summit

Looking back towards Sgurr nan Conbhairean after descending

The neighbours: A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Sgurr nan Conbhairean - now from the distance

...and more distanced

3rd Munro done, The summit of Sail Chaorainn. Thanks for this pic belongs to the two walkers from Edinburgh who had a great weekend in Kintail...it was nice to met you guys :D

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire from Sail Chaorainn

On the way back

Turned right ( on the slope of Sgurr nan Conbhairean )for the descend on the ridge

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire again...

The descend route: straight on and then left over the ridge towards Loch Cluanie

The 1st Munro Carn Ghluasaid just opposite

Sgurr nan Conbhaireann

The Brothers...The Sisters...and part of The South Glen Shiel Ridge

Panorama of the Day

Glen Shiel and the Cluanie Inn next to the road in the distance

Loch Cluanie

The boggy descent ahead, but not so bad in this time - thanks to the dry previous days...anyway some care needed there !

Walking along the road

Back in the car park
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Golden sunny Autumn in Kintail

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Nice light in your photos. Certainly was a cracking day.
Just missed you - was only a little way along the road on the corbetts - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jamesb63 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Very nice photographic report of your day ,the recent spell of weather
has given us some chance of walking in weather we never had this summer :D
The pics of the memorial and Loch Garry are excellent :clap: with the early morning conditions
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Glad you are on the mend, your pictures tell of a beautiful day in Kintail and I really like the idea of visiting an area in all of the four seasons, I am not sure if we could ever be that organised but I am going to give it a try.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Beautiful photos, glad to see you out and about again after your operation - hope all goes well for you :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Well that's inspiring. Great that you've managed a recovery to coincide with fine weather. Hope that you are now going from strength to strength.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby martin.h » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Good to see you out again Petr and we hope you're back to full fitness soon. :D
Lovely photo's as usual, you've captured the essence of the day beautifully, they've certainly got the wow! factor. :clap:
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:54 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice light in your photos. Certainly was a cracking day.
Just missed you - was only a little way along the road on the corbetts - cheers :)

Thanks :D really great sunny day - perfect Autumn. That's interesting - we are almost neighbours by our base and we were neighbours in the hills that day so far from home...maybe we could see each other if used zoom often for the photos around :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:17 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Very nice photographic report of your day ,the recent spell of weather
has given us some chance of walking in weather we never had this summer :D
The pics of the memorial and Loch Garry are excellent :clap: with the early morning conditions

Thanks James :D The combination of Autumn colours, nature and the perfect weather made the beauty :wink: Nothing can start the day better than a beautiful morning :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Glad you are on the mend, your pictures tell of a beautiful day in Kintail and I really like the idea of visiting an area in all of the four seasons, I am not sure if we could ever be that organised but I am going to give it a try.

Thank you :D Judging by your wonderful reports you look well organised :wink: Scotland is a beautiful country and it's really nice to compare the beauty in different seasons - each of the seasons is a unique
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Beautiful photos, glad to see you out and about again after your operation - hope all goes well for you :D :D

Thank you :D ...and I hope too :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:47 pm

litljortindan wrote:Well that's inspiring. Great that you've managed a recovery to coincide with fine weather. Hope that you are now going from strength to strength.

Thank you :D the weather forecast helped with the decision to go that day :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:54 pm

martin.h wrote:Good to see you out again Petr and we hope you're back to full fitness soon. :D
Lovely photo's as usual, you've captured the essence of the day beautifully, they've certainly got the wow! factor. :clap:
Cheers.

Thanks Martin :D The fitness can be lost sometimes, but the love for the mountains never ! :D :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Andrea Rosslyn » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Wow! Perfect conditions, amazing views....beautiful pictures. I am glad that you have been back on mountains :clap:
I believe that you enjoyed that day there, in so beautiful area. Also, healing power of the mountains...what is better? Great! Well done! :clap: :wink: 8)
Andrea Rosslyn
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Postby PerthAlly » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Aye, well done Petr. Superb photos

I've managed 25 munros this summer. Which is 4 more than I targeted . My season is almost over as I'm not much into winter walking :?

Would like to get half way in 2017 ie another 38 blue balloons! Might have to sacrifice some Saturday golf :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland