walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty mountain Ben Vane

Misty mountain Ben Vane

Postby Euancampbell88 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 15/10/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 916m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Usually my two brothers and my brothers fiancé do the Munros but yesterday I went up myself. Tackled ben vane on a bad day. On reflection now I can see that the instructions given here were good but I got a bit lost on the way to the hill. I think the easiest way to describe the first leg of the journey is to follow the Loch sloy sign all the way until youre at the foot of ben vane ( its on the left of the Loch. I turned off the road one bridge early and i believe the forest mentioned in the comment has now been harvested. Still i understand I should have researched a bit more before heading out my bad. the path up ben vane is clearly visible from higher up but very boggy at the start, easily a foot or more deep in places. The visibility was very poor but the forecast wasn't bad. 5mph wind from the east they said :crazy: Around 1500ft up I reckon it was about 80mph gusts the top was worse :lol: . A wee bit of a sprachle just below the summit had to pull myself uo a couple of times, not bad though. Twice I thought I had reached the summit and still had further to push. When I made it it felt a great accomplishment because it was my first solo. Truly enjoyed this one but more than anything it was a great learning curve. When the mist really settled in it was quite disorientating. Just ben lomond and vorlich now and that's the arrochar munros done.
Euancampbell88
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1

Re: Misty mountain Ben Vane

Postby Coop » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:01 am

Ben Vane teaches you about false summits.
Little bit of everything on this small but enjoyable munro
Coop
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:100
Grahams:41   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland