walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bheoil and Ben Alder from McCook's cottage

Beinn Bheoil and Ben Alder from McCook's cottage

Postby Yorjick » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder

Date walked: 10/10/2016

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 1203m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was day three of a five day trip, having climbed Stob an Aonaich Mhoir the previous day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I woke up at the crack of dawn and despite the previous day being very tiring, I felt full of enthusiasm. My enthusiasm was in part being fed by the glorious weather. I had just spent my first night in the haunted Benalder (McCook's) cottage. The cottage is said to be haunted by the ghost of a gamekeeper called McCook, who worked for the Alder Estate, that hung himself in the cottage. However, no date is given for this event, and McCook apparently retired to Newtonmore. Apparently, strange lights and noises can be seen and heard within the cottage. Other than a few mice (or where they the ghosts of mice?), it was a very quiet night. The lengths that the landed gentry will go to to keep people away!

dscf1077_orig_resize.jpg

I headed off ahead of the DofE group from Robert Gordon College. They too were heading for Beinn Bheoil.

dscf1091_orig_resize.jpg

I initially set off along the wrong path, having not noticed the pathe leading directly up from behind the bothy, but it was not difficult doing a rising traverse across to the path. Crossing the burn, I took the opportunity to fill my water reservoir.

I headed for the Munro Top of Sron Coirie na h-lolaire, partly as I am a purist who takes in every little bump, but also because it is a great viewpoint:

dscf1097_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1098_orig_resize.jpg

The view to the other side of Beinn Bheoil isn't bad either! - The exquisite Loch a' Bhealaich Bheithe

dscf1111_resize.jpg

It is a delightful walk across the connecting ridge to Beinn Bheoil, especially on such a splendid morning. There was a nip in the air on reaching the summit, but that is to be expected in October!

dscf1118_orig_resize.jpg

Here, Ben Alder looks magnificent in the sunshine, but sadly, the weather was to change, though I still had no need of a waterproof jacket all day.

dscf1119_orig_resize.jpg

On my return towards Sron Coirie na h-lolaire, I stopped off at this small feature in the ridge to produce the reverse photograph of one taken the day before on ​Stob an Aonaich Mhoir.

dscf1122_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1054_orig_resize.jpg

As I approached ​Sron Coirie na h-lolaire, I could see the DofE group taking a break. I did not take the detour to talk to them as I wanted to push on. It is a quick descent down to Bealach Breabag and a not so quick and easy ascent up the scattered paths up to Sron Bealach Beithe, from where I could see the DofE group on the summit of Beinn Bheoil. :clap: :clap: :clap:

dscf1128_orig_resize.jpg

It was still a 1.2km walk round to the summit of Ben Alder. hile the blue skies were disappearing, visibility was improving and I was able to obtain some reasonably sharp photographs of distant hills:

The Mamores and The Big Four (Ben Nevis, Carn Mor Dearg, Aonach beag and Aonach mor). The Ben is 33 km or 20.5 miles away! The more distant hills are Ben Resipol and Sgurr Dhomhnuill. Beinn Resipol is 55 km away or 34 miles!

dscf1136_orig_resize.jpg

Looking towards a sunnier Knoydart: I have been trying to work out what's what! My best effort is that the prominent peak to the left is Sgurr na Ciche 1040m, the distant peak above the lowest pint in the Beinn Eibhinn - Aonach Beag bealach is Ladhar Bheinn 1020m (approximately 75km away) and to it's right is Sgurr Mor 1003m. Can anyone confirm this?

dscf1142_orig_resize.jpg

Time for some summit selfies and a check on the altimeter on my watch, not that there were any doubts that I was at the top!

dscf1145_1_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1150_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1148_orig_resize.jpg

To the north-east of the summit is a ruin and some circular stone walls. My research suggests that they are remains of a camp set up by Major General Thomas Fredrick Colby as part of the original Ordnance Survey mapping party. I believe that they are known as Colby camps. Thanks to Borderhugh for the information.

dscf1151_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1152_resize.jpg

As I left the summit, the weather brightened up again allowing a photograph of a sunlit Beinn Bheoil.

dscf1153_orig_resize.jpg

I was back at the bothy around 1600, ready for a hot cup of coffee and some grub before setting about making a fire. I moved my sleeping kit from the room with the stove to the small middle room with the bunk beds.

dscf1155_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1157_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1158_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1160_orig_resize.jpg

dscf1162_orig_resize.jpg
Last edited by Yorjick on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Beinn Bheoil and Ben Alder from McCook's cottage

Postby kev_russ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Nice :) was there last month for a couple nights in the bothy & a similar day on the 2 hills like yourself. No ghost but that wee mouse woke us up a few times during the night!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Beinn Bheoil and Ben Alder from McCook's cottage

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Interesting story about the bothy - haven't been to it yet but would like to some day. Good area for walking and for reversing the photo of the previous day :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland