walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An icy blast on Creagan a' Chaise

An icy blast on Creagan a' Chaise

Postby rob munbett » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creagan a' Chaise

Date walked: 13/10/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 520m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was staying in Grantown on Spey for a day or two and had a free morning so a quick trip to Creagan a' Chaise was possible. The weather wasn't exactly great: the tops of the Grahams were at times clear but there was a very strong icy wind making things pretty unpleasant, even in full gear. I parked on the minor road above Cromdale in a crescent shaped turning area at about NJ097282 and then walked NE along the road until I came to a metal gate on the right. Through this, there was a farm track which led to a t-junction. I took the RH track above Claggersnich Wood, past the Clach nam Piobair to a peaty path which led up past a line of grouse butts to the Coronation Cairn on the skyline.
P1030485.JPG
Carn a' Ghille Chearr from the ascent of Creagan a' Chaise
P1030486.JPG
Coronation Cairn and the distant summit
From here, ATV tracks led over quite boggy ground to the distant summit. By this point, the icy blast was eye watering and a white frost was forming on my gear. I had to lean into it make progress. At least in would be at my back on the way out!
P1030487.JPG
On the broad ridge looking over to the distant summit
P1030493.JPG
Approaching the final rise to the the summit
There was a final rise on to the summit ridge where there was a trig and large cairn. However, it was very exposed and there was no real shelter so no stop for a snack and hot drink on this walk.
P1030490.JPG
The summit trig and Jubilee Cairn
P1030488.JPG
The distant Carn a' Ghille Chearr from the descent
I headed off sharpish back down the route of ascent back to the car for the short journey back to the hotel and a hot shower.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: An icy blast on Creagan a' Chaise

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:30 pm

A pity about the cold wind. It is otherwise an enjoyable walk I think.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland