walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian from Glencoe Hostel

Bidean nam Bian from Glencoe Hostel

Postby trederdog 100 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 12/10/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1664m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_BIDEAN NAM BIAN 01.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started this ascent of Bidean nam Bian from the hostel in Glencoe, and as I didn't have a car decided to go straight up Coire nam Beitheath from the Clachaig Inn woodland walks and bridge. The weather was pretty good and only a bit of cloud on the crags above. After crossing the river I kept my eyes peeled for a path on the other side of the road - I'd only find out later that the path leaves from the road bridge - but I crossed the fence and took to the moorland. I soon crossed over enough to locate the path and I wasn't expecting it to be so good - really well constructed over what would have been a tough climb up next to the stream in the Coire nam Beitheath.

IMG_2738JPG.jpg
Hostel at the start

IMG_2755JPG.jpg
Looking to Aonach Eagach ridge

IMG_2750JPG.jpg
Looking up Coire nam Beitheath

IMG_2753JPG.jpg
Rowan trees growing in the crags

IMG_2762JPG.jpg
Higher up the corrie, looking up to the buttresses which hide Bidean's summit

As I got higher I was more impressed by the route and the stream and rowan trees growing high in the gorge of the stream. The large buttresses seen from Glencoe rise vertically and I followed the route to the east corrie of Stob coire nam beith. There are large rockfalls and boulders here and some steep cliff sections to negotiate as the path rapidly disappears. In fact it soon fades to nothing in a large boulder field at the foot of the very steep section leading to the bealach to the east of Bidean nam Bian. A scramble up rough rock and scree ensued, and this took a while to avoid sliding right back down again, but all the while, amazing views of the crags and buttresses opened up.
IMG_2766JPG.jpg
Looking down the very steep scree section at top of the corrie

IMG_2767JPG.jpg
On the ridge, looking towards Stob Coire Sgreamhach

I got to the ridge, which took a while and followed a path up steep crags to the summit of Bidean - covered in mist just in time for my arrival. :roll:
It was pretty cold up here so I soon set of towards Sgreamhach. It had been my idea to return this route, straight down to the hostel, but now I decided a better idea was the lost valley route - very glad I did!
After chatting to some Americans who were unsure of the descent I soon climbed Sgreamhach and enjoyed better views. Although a new addition to the Munro's it does feel like a distinct mountain to Bidean.
IMG_2777JPG.jpg
Glen Etive from Stob Coire Sgreamhach

IMG_2778JPG.jpg
Looking east from Sgreamhach

Descending the steep section from the bealach was easy enough in these conditions, but I can imagine it would be a bit more difficult in snow. This was a good route to complete a round walk and this lost valley route down was very nice. The valley itself is clad lower down in some lovely woodland of birch and rowan and the stream tumbling down the gorge was lovely.

IMG_2789JPG.jpg
Looking to the descent route from the lost Valley

IMG_2792JPG.jpg
Woodland in the gorge going down from the lost valley

I had initially wanted to avoid the long walk back to the hostel next to the main road, but there is a track for half of it with amazing views over the three sisters and the coirries hiding high up. A small footpath keeps you off the road as it runs around the loch. Here the sun came out for some sublime lighting which is so famous in the Highlands! :)

IMG_2809JPG.jpg
Walking around Loch Achtriochtan on a small path next to the road.

I was soon back to the Clachaig Inn and here I stopped my gps and instead enjoyed some of the extensive beer range! My favourite of that day was a fruity Birds and Bees!
This was a cracking round route with a mixture of everything and really shows the best Glencoe has to offer.
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Re: Bidean nam Bian from Glencoe Hostel

Postby trederdog 100 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Goodness knows how to change the photo's to the correct way up! :roll:
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:29 pm

There is a lot of options on Bidean nam Bian but that looks like a great route with no need for the car. I think I will have a go at your route myself. Cheers :D
PS the sideways pictures make Glencoe look even steeper than it is. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby prog99 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:43 pm

trederdog 100 wrote:Goodness knows how to change the photo's to the correct way up! :roll:

For reasons I don't quite get even though the images are stored with the correct orientation flag (ie rotated) the browser isn't picking this up. Very odd, I have a browser extension which should fix this too.

10/10 for the route. We did Bidean via this way for our last munro (returned the same way) thus finishing at a pub.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby trederdog 100 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:43 am

Sunset tripper wrote:There is a lot of options on Bidean nam Bian but that looks like a great route with no need for the car. I think I will have a go at your route myself. Cheers :D
PS the sideways pictures make Glencoe look even steeper than it is. :D

Thanks Sunset tripper! This was a great round route with a well made path going up the coire and good scree scramble going up to bealach, the lost valley decent made it great as well, definitely recommend. I caught the coach up to Glencoe village so it's an accessible car-less route! :)

prog99 wrote:For reasons I don't quite get even though the images are stored with the correct orientation flag (ie rotated) the browser isn't picking this up. Very odd, I have a browser extension which should fix this too.

10/10 for the route. We did Bidean via this way for our last munro (returned the same way) thus finishing at a pub.

Thanks prog99! It is a great route for finishing at the pub! Nice to have a round route. The photo thing used to sort itself out I remember automatically, not this time though - may have different extensions on my browser or something this time. It did turn them the correct way when I looked on my phone!
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland