walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nan Imirean from Auchessan

Beinn nan Imirean from Auchessan

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Route description: Beinn nan Imirean, from Auchessan

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Imirean

Date walked: 16/10/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.06 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day after the Compleation had arrrived and the promised better weather had not materialised in fact it had gotten worse, but maybe just maybe it might brighten up as forecast.
This grassy lump was on on my way home in any case and with my climbing buddy Martin already committed we drove to the starting point on the A85 in Glen Dochart

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Inverardran Cottage where we were staying the weekend
2.JPG
The parking area on the South side of the A85 road where we put the cars so as not to block the farm driveway approx. 300yards East of Driveway to farm
3.JPG
Crossing the bridge over the river Dochart
4.JPG
Looking West from the bridge
5.JPG
After passing the old farmhouse at the front then following the track to the East side just to return around the rear this track heads further North adjacent to the burn on the left. Soon to pass old kennel building in picture
6.JPG
We took the right fork, on the return journey we came down the track on the left
7.JPG
Looking back to Glen Dochart
8.JPG
There are lots of new tracks having been built for the new hydro scheme
9.JPG
After an age climbing up the featureless grassy moorland towards Meall Garbh hard going in the wet underfoot conditions you come across this sea of peat hag which we passed on the left hand side then climbed steeper slopes to gain the summit ridge
9a.JPG
Wet and already soaked at the summit rock on rock cairn, not hanging about we headed back the way we had come against the driving rain and wind
10.JPG
Near the end now and not bothering to take the camera out once because of the foul conditions we came across these black sheep. Funny when sheep see you they almost invariably pee themselves
11.JPG
These two were not frightened and stood their ground
12.JPG
Not seen this type of sheep before
13.JPG
Drowned rats, happy to be off the hill to get a complete change of clothes before the drive back home.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn nan Imirean from Auchessan

Postby Sgurr » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 pm

Try googling Badger Faced Welsh Mountain Sheep. We saw some in Wales and had to find them on-line. I guess that's what the one with a black rear was. Did you see its face?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Sgurr wrote:Try googling Badger Faced Welsh Mountain Sheep. We saw some in Wales and had to find them on-line. I guess that's what the one with a black rear was. Did you see its face?

Thanks for that Sgurr, I will do, and fancy me just seeing my first live badger only a couple of weeks ago as well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby bdearg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Did this hill on Monday .....weather not changed any then :? Wondered about the sheep though they were cool.Good hill :crazy: pity about weather ......not as bad as creish for water we stayed dry :clap:
bdearg
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:64
Fionas:37   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:30 am

bdearg wrote:Did this hill on Monday .....weather not changed any then :? Wondered about the sheep though they were cool.Good hill :crazy: pity about weather ......not as bad as creish for water we stayed dry :clap:

It was one of those days you hoped would get better so we did not put our waterproofs leggings on and as the trousers were getting so wet it seemed pointless to put the leggings on. My hardshell is now past its best and a replacement is a must. Just hope WH meet up weekend has better drier weather. My boots are still wet maybe they will dry out in time for the meet. Don't think I'll be rushing back up there though.
The farm seemed to welcome walkers though.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby PeteR » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:56 am

Looked wet......and the peat hags looked awful Rod. Well done for getting it bagged.

I did this on a longer, but probably more pleasing route from Kenknock. Good track most of the way for once. Then dropped back over Meall Glas and the former Munro of Beinn Cheeathaich. Made for a nice little circuit.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:120   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:25 pm

Wow, 10 out of 10 for perseverance! I think I'd have given up as soon as I saw that peat bog!

Pity - the views from the summit are really fine on the right day :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:30 am

Alteknacker wrote:Wow, 10 out of 10 for perseverance! I think I'd have given up as soon as I saw that peat bog!

Pity - the views from the summit are really fine on the right day :roll:

Thanks Alteknacker, I'll take your word re the views, the photo of the peat hags was the weather at its best and we were heading right for the middle until the cloud lifted a bit, just as welll we took evasive action, lol.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland