walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shrouded Schiehallion

Shrouded Schiehallion

Postby munrogimp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 19/10/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 698m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today was to be a big day in that Mrs MG and Tango the dog were to crack their first Scottish Munro. North Wales mountains had been done time and again as Team Munrogimps, but this was a significant first north of the border.
The Met Office sold us the day as:
IMG_1300.jpg
The Met Office says.........

But the view from the cottage was:
IMG_0659.jpg
Reality says

It'll clear up. We hoped.
After an athletes breakfast of bacon, blackpud and eggs we departed Braes of Foss car park in fine spirits, Tango leading the way of course.
IMG_2232.jpg
You will follow my lead...

IMG_2230.jpg
....following Tango's lead.

As documented previously by many others the path up is very well constructed and loops around the contours towards the boulder-field.
It'll clear up.
Occasional glimpses through clag afford us views across the glen to the opposite side where we walked yesterday: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67522

IMG_2248.jpg
Beinn a'Chuallaich

It'll clear up.
Sporadic showers and cold northerly winds were enough to force on the waterproof slacks, even for Tango. The very slippery rocks were stumbled across and now there was very little visibility.
But it'll clear up.
IMG_2238.jpg
Mrs MG having a word with Tango

IMG_2239.jpg
I've no idea what was said but Mrs MG thinks its funny, Tango doesn't.

After the 4th, 5th or was it 6th false summit we topped out on to....some rocks. No cairn, no trig point, no bunting.
And it didn't bloody well clear up.
Bless her Helen was still grinning like a Cheshire Cat at last joining the bagger's club.
IMG_2244.jpg
Mrs MG and Tango join the baggers' club

Me? I was just glad to be be one Munro ahead of my usual bagging partner Snowdonia7!!! Suck it up Dave :lol:
We dropped down 50 mtrs or so to shelter from the wind and so to enjoy a brew, a butty and the mist before removing the waterproofs, including Tango's Elvis-like collared jacket.
IMG_2246.jpg
Thank you very much.

Mrs MG had done good but was clearly a tad tired as she repeatedly caught rocks with her boots on the decent, but the de-brief, over a large coffee and a sticky-toffee pudding & ice cream in Kinloch Rannoch, was all positive.
What wasn't positive was our language when we looked back at Schiehallion on returning to the cottage:
FullSizeRender.jpg
So it did f*&%ing well clear up!
munrogimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Re: Shrouded Schiehallion

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:18 am

That's Scottish weather for you :roll: clag on top, clears up at the bottom. Last time I was on this hill a couple of years ago my better half also came along - nice weather at the bottom then heavy rain from near the top until we go back down - I wasn't too popular 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Shrouded Schiehallion

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 pm

I hear you both!

Camping by Loch Tummel three years back, up at the crack of dawn to take two mates up there, clear up to the cairn then a clag-bound summit ridge, making for some treacherous rock-hopping. Mate 1 slipped and gashed his shin on way to the summit and Mate 2 slipped and hurt his back / shoulder on the return.

Back at the tents for 9am and by late morning, blue skies and clear summit!

To add insult to injuries, there was a report on WH later that day of a sunny 50th Munro celebration atop Schiehallion that afternoon.

The early bird does not always catch the worm!!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland