walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain

Beinn Narnain

Postby ruaridhmci » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 20/10/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a beutiful sunny autumnal day. Set off from the Succoth car park - takes a £1 so be prepared! I got there at 0800 and there were only 2 other cars but it gets busy and was full when I returned. I crossed the road and followed the well marked path. The direct route up Narnain can easily be missed as the path is literally 20yds along the main path and looks like a stream. This bit is quite a slog as you folow the old power line works up through the forest. It is quite steep but the benefit is you gain hight quickly. Once through the forest it opens out and the views back over Loch Long and over to Ben Lomond are stunning. The path is very clear but as the way meets the rockier bits it takes a bit of looking to make sure you dont stray too far. There are a couple of quite steep bits that require some "hands on" and I had to lift the dog up one bit, but there is nothing too serious and its quite a bit of fun after the long slog up form the car park. The first summit of Cruach Nam Miseag is a good spot to stop for a quick cuppa and a bite to eat to give some energy for the next stage up to the Narnain summit which is imposingly straight ahead. It looks almost sheer but once you get closer the path again is pretty straight forward with some more scrambling bits but nothing too difficult. Once onto the summit there are two cairns and a trig point, with a shelter of sorts built up of rocks next to the trig point. The views were breathtaking, I could see the Aisle of Craig to the south and Ben Nevis to the north. After a bite to eat, I headed on towards Beinn Imme and down the back of Narnain. Again the path is well worn but take care not to get sidetracked as there are many rocky outcrops that could be dangerous. I finished the walk by heading down the excellent path past the Cobbler and back to the car. This route was like the M25 with walkers and I was glad I had gone the road less travelled on the way up.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ruaridhmci
Munro compleatist

Munros:29   

Re: Beinn Narnain

Postby andrewgscott » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:07 am

I set off at 09:00 and must have followed you up because I was following paw prints. :-) Is it a large dog BTW? It looked like it.
andrewgscott
Munro compleatist

Munros:110   Corbetts:52
Donalds:1

Re: Beinn Narnain

Postby ruaridhmci » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:36 pm

andrewgscott wrote:I set off at 09:00 and must have followed you up because I was following paw prints. :-) Is it a large dog BTW? It looked like it.

Haha! Yes, he is a large yellow lab, soft as you like though. What a cracking day it was. :D
ruaridhmci
Munro compleatist

Munros:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland