walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler

The Cobbler

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 21/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 884m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a day!!

We (dalmatian no 2 - Daisy) started from Sucooth car park at 0845 with every intention of climbing Beinn Nairnan and then Beinn Ime. However after getting pretty far up the mountain (I think around the Spearhead) we aborted the climb as (a) we hadnt seen a soul all day (b) we are novice climbers (c) the wind was really fierce (d) I'm sure we took the wrong route - we seemed to be climbing up the left side - very scary drop with big wind gusts (could see the cobbler off to the left (e) couldn't find my bravery pills!!

Anyway heading back down with our tails between our legs we reached the path that traverses the hill and decided to go right. Eventually we me the main cobbler path and although it wasn't exactly Sauchiehall street there were a few people walking and a good path. So with a choice of either heading down feeling sorry for ourselves or gritting our teeth and heading back up we decided on the latter course of action.

Well worthwhile, we went straight up the scrambly bit of the Cobbler finally getting to the summit around 230pm .

Thought about doing Nairnan from the backside but it was 315pm by the time we got off The Cobbler and to be honest I was knackered.

We will definitely be back to climb Nairnam and Ime - if anyone can shed light on where we went wrong (if we went wrong) it would be much appreciated as I dont fancy the slog up the cobbler path to get to Nairnan.

PS Respect to the mountain rescue teams - had a little feeling at one point that I might have needed them.

Daisy showed her respect too to Charles Paterson - founder of the Arrochar rescue team - see photo of plaque.
IMG00189-20100821-1440.jpg
Daisy at the Cobbler
IMG00193-20100821-1440.jpg
me at top
Attachments
IMG00183-20100821-1121.jpg
somewhere up nairnan!
IMG00194-20100821-1539.jpg
IMG00178-20100821-1047.jpg
Daisy sitting pretty with Ben Lomond in the background
IMG00172-20100821-1012.jpg
commemerative plaque - Charles Paterson
Last edited by 2dalmatians on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: The Cobbler

Postby johnnyaztec » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm

I was up that way in May,we made the top of Narnain but abandoned Ime due to poor weather.The area around the spearhead is where there is a little bit of scrambling involved and initially from where you start the up section from the saddle between Narnain summit and Cruach Nan Miseag it does head to the left,with exposure in a few places thrown in too,i m guessing that you were probably on the right path to make the summit.

The route from the North west side is pretty sedate no real scrambling or airy drops to contemplate there.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:51 pm

It's probably about 3 years since I did Narnain and it was very misty but I'm sure we went up a gully just under the Spearhead Buttress heading to it's right. Maybe you went the wrong side. I'm almost sure it's at that point you turn right up a loose-ish scrabbly (but not scrambly) gully. I don't really remember any drops or exposure anywhere and I probably would have noticed ground like you describe.

What a beautiful dog! :D
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Sorry, but it only counts if the Dalmation threaded the Needle. :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:41 pm

We did discuss it and she did want to do it, but given that it was her turn to make dinner that night I (selfishly) said no! She doesn't have the knack of taking pictures with the Blackberry yet otherwise she would have got one of me doing it.... :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ceebeeby » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:20 pm

You did better than we did today - got rained off of it just after the forest - couldn't see 100 ft in front, and as had a wee one (human) in tow, decided to give it a miss!

Altogether a damp squib!

Well done you and Daisy
ceebeeby
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Postby sloosh » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:36 pm

2dalmatians wrote:We did discuss it and she did want to do it, but given that it was her turn to make dinner that night I (selfishly) said no! She doesn't have the knack of taking pictures with the Blackberry yet otherwise she would have got one of me doing it.... :lol:

She can't work the Blackberry yet? :shock: At least she was making dinner... :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Alan Weir » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Daisy looks so proud to be top of the hill.
Alan Weir
Hill Bagger

Munros:39   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland