walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Return of the Jaxter with a Goat Fell accidental epic!

Return of the Jaxter with a Goat Fell accidental epic!

Postby Jaxter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:49 pm

Route description: Goatfell, from Brodick Castle

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 20/10/2016

Distance: 22.9 km

Ascent: 1155m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after a being banned from the hills (or any form of exercise) for months, my physio suggested I could try climbing a hill. I didn’t need telling twice. With Blondie in the car hospital, I was limited to public transport so I worked my way through several plans before settling on a place I wouldn’t take the car anyway – Arran - and even better the weather looked fantastic :D 8)

I collected together all my stuff, squeezed into my trousers, grabbed my bike and headed for the train. Once safely on the ferry I headed out on deck to enjoy the views. It was a wonderful feeling knowing that I was going to be up there soon :D

Ahead to Arran

Back towards land

I met a guy who was heading over to work on the new ferry terminal and he kindly offered to take a picture of me spoiling the view.

We also spotted what we thought were porpoises in the sea but I wasn’t quick enough with the camera… :?

Looking North

Once off the ferry I headed off down the road, stopping for a few photos along the way…my target

Flying along the road on the bike, I reached the start point in no time, stowed my bike and started up the path. At the first fork in the path I caught up with a group of people reading familiar text….it was the WH route description :lol:

The path was easy going and although I was trying to be super-careful and obey all my instructions, I made good progress and was grinning like a fool :D It was a much warmer day than the forecast had suggested so I was soon losing layers rather than putting them on 8)

It felt like pretty hard work…I guess no exercise for months can do that :( but it was the perfect opportunity to take some photos of the amazing views :D and anyway, I was more than happy to take my time and enjoy myself :D

Towards the Holy Isle

There were a few wisps of cloud drifting around but nothing worrying, and afterall the forecast was for perfect visibility all day :thumbup:

Looking back down the ridge

As I progressed upwards I passed by lots of people all out enjoying the nice weather and parents attempting to cajole small children into carrying on :lol: However, just as I reached the summit a large amount of unwelcome cloud descended, spoiling my views. Disappointed but optimistic I sat down to eat my sandwiches and wait for it to clear…. :wink:

…and eventually it did.

The classic Jaxter pose

And the view without me spoiling it

While I was waiting I got out the map and started looking around for options. It was only lunchtime and I was keen to stay out for longer. I also hate out-and-back routes so I decided to continue along the ridge a bit and wing it... :crazy:

The way ahead…

Cir Mor and some awesome scrambling for another day

Looking out towards Campbeltown

Scrambling along the ridge, I was very conscious that I was supposed to be behaving myself….the clag had also come in and visibility was non-existant. I decided that the bypass “pussy” path might be a more sensible option :roll:

Looking back, a very atmospheric-looking Goat Fell

However, the pussy path bypassed the north summit so I ended up climbing straight up and scrambling to the top anyway :lol:

This is looking out towards Mull of Kintyre, possibly Jura?

Having looked at the map I had considered climbing over Meall Buidhe and Cioch na h-Oighe and coming down to Sannox, but as I wasn’t sure of the bus times I figured a walk back from Corrie was possible (although not desirable) whereas from Sannox would require chancing a hitch-hike :lol:

Meall Buidhe

I climbed part way up Meall Buidhe in the hope of some views but it seemed that the weather was in a bad mood so decided to head back down towards Corrie; I'd be back anyway :wink:

Looking back, the sun trying to peek through

Looking down the glen towards Corrie

Looking back up towards Goat Fell

Taking it very slowly and carefully I was able to make it all the way down to the road without any pain – a real achievement, especially given how clumsy I am :thumbup: :D

Beautiful reflections on the water

It was around 4.30 so there was no chance of getting the early ferry. My only concern was reaching my bike and cycling back to Brodick before the light failed as I had no lights…rookie error :roll:

Reaching the bus stop I discovered that the next bus was in 2 hours time….serves me right for not checking the bus times :lol: So a 4 mile walk it was….this wasn’t entirely what the doctor ordered but the alternative wasn’t attractive. Still, it was a beautiful evening and I was having a great time 8) :D

Trying to take it fairly easy and definitely enjoying the views I marched along the road; on my way I met some seals and saw the beginnings of an awesome sunset.

Once at the Brewery I hopped on the bike and was back in Brodick in time to grab some food from the Co-op and sit down on a bench to enjoy a wonderful sunset.

Eventually heading over to the ferry terminal I spent some time talking to a lovely man (I hope your daughter continues with her violin!) and finally settled onto the ferry with my book.

Arriving back at Ardrossan I missed the train by a couple of seconds and had to wait an hour…not quite what I had intended as I ended up arriving home after 10.30; a very long day! But it wasn’t enough to spoil my wonderful mood :D

The next day my knee was a wee bit sore but nothing more than I expected, so I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to walk at the WH Meet next weekend! It was such a wonderful feeling to be back in the hills. Looks like Jaxter is back :D
Last edited by Jaxter on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Return of the Jaxter with a Goat Fell accidental epic!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:30 am

Welcome back Jaxter, and just in time for Ratagan, good news! Stunning photographs once more with the pose and smile to boot. I've not yet been to Arran but hopefully next year with the tent I'll get the lot done, that's the plan anyway. Thanks for posting, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby allymacp » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:12 am

Big fan of your day out - proof that you don't need a car to get out and about as well, nice one. Some great photos in there too - cheers, good read!
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:23
Fionas:14   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:10   

Postby martin.h » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:50 am

Good to see you're getting out again Jackie, lets hope it's all "up" from now on.
Lovely photos again, they're putting us in the mood for next year, our first big trip north is a week on Arran
followed by a week around Mullardoch and Glen Affric, that's in June, can't wait :lol:
Take care and recover 100% :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby dav2930 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Sorry to hear you've been out of action for a while, but you've certainly made a stylish comeback with that one; it must have felt good to be back on the hill again. Some great photos there of the atmospheric scenes and evening light at the end - worth missing the bus for!? :lol:

I just love Arran - only a tiny area but so much to do in it. The granite is wonderful to walk, scramble and climb on (when it's dry!). :clap: :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby GillSte » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Good to see that your gammy knee is better! Look forward to seeing you in Ratagan.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Well done on getting back out. It`s my favourite place and not just because I can get there without a car. Stunning hills , glad it cleared up for you. I`m surprised you missed the train back, are they not meant to meet the ferries coming in ?
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Andymac75 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:46 pm

I was wondering what had happened to The Jaxter and her one legged summit yoga poses :-P

Well done. :thumbup:
Andymac75

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Well done Jaxter :clap:

It must have felt great to be back, I'm looking forward to the same feeling at the meet (weather permitting) :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 am

You certainly chose a seriously fine place to get going again. Arran takes a lot of beating.

Good to see that you're recovering - it is so frustrating when one's body fails one!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:38 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Welcome back Jaxter, and just in time for Ratagan, good news! Stunning photographs once more with the pose and smile to boot. I've not yet been to Arran but hopefully next year with the tent I'll get the lot done, that's the plan anyway. Thanks for posting, Rod

Thanks Rod, yes good timing and fingers crossed for the weekend :D :D

allymacp wrote:Big fan of your day out - proof that you don't need a car to get out and about as well, nice one. Some great photos in there too - cheers, good read!

Thanks - I like a non car day out sometimes. I did a lot of the Ardlui/Crianlarich hills by train and it really adds something :D

martin.h wrote:Good to see you're getting out again Jackie, lets hope it's all "up" from now on.
Lovely photos again, they're putting us in the mood for next year, our first big trip north is a week on Arran
followed by a week around Mullardoch and Glen Affric, that's in June, can't wait :lol:
Take care and recover 100% :D

dav2930 wrote:Sorry to hear you've been out of action for a while, but you've certainly made a stylish comeback with that one; it must have felt good to be back on the hill again. Some great photos there of the atmospheric scenes and evening light at the end - worth missing the bus for!? :lol:

I just love Arran - only a tiny area but so much to do in it. The granite is wonderful to walk, scramble and climb on (when it's dry!). :clap: :D

Cheers - aye it was definitely a silver lining! Would probably have walked anyway if not for the knee :lol:

GillSte wrote:Good to see that your gammy knee is better! Look forward to seeing you in Ratagan.

Cheers - can't wait!

tomyboy73 wrote:Well done on getting back out. It`s my favourite place and not just because I can get there without a car. Stunning hills , glad it cleared up for you. I`m surprised you missed the train back, are they not meant to meet the ferries coming in ?

Aye it's cos I had the bike and they always let you off last :( the train was pulling out as I arrived :(

Andymac75 wrote:I was wondering what had happened to The Jaxter and her one legged summit yoga poses :-P

Hahaha thanks - did you miss me?! :lol:

jupe1407 wrote:Well done Jaxter :clap:

It must have felt great to be back, I'm looking forward to the same feeling at the meet (weather permitting) :lol:

Oh it was wonderful - fingers crossed for you :D

Alteknacker wrote:You certainly chose a seriously fine place to get going again. Arran takes a lot of beating.

Good to see that you're recovering - it is so frustrating when one's body fails one!!!

Yup, sucks doesn't it :( but you're right, Arran is wonderful :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby onsen » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 am

Hope your sore knee has recovered from it's adventurous ordeal....always love the endless views
from ridges & summits. Well done, Jaxter.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Andymac75 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Andymac75 wrote:I was wondering what had happened to The Jaxter and her one legged summit yoga poses :-P

yes,I did actually :-D :
Andymac75

Postby ancancha » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:28 pm

A nice comeback Jaxter, views in your photos look great :clap:
I thought you'd got lost in the clag somewhere :crazy:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:52 pm

onsen wrote:Hope your sore knee has recovered from it's adventurous ordeal....always love the endless views
from ridges & summits. Well done, Jaxter.

thankyou - seems to have surivived its ordeal :shock: :lol:

Andymac75 wrote:

yes,I did actually :-D :

Awww :wink:

ancancha wrote:A nice comeback Jaxter, views in your photos look great :clap:
I thought you'd got lost in the clag somewhere :crazy:

Lost!? Never....misplaced perhaps :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland