walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cramalt Craig, Greenside Law

Cramalt Craig, Greenside Law

Postby McMole » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Cramalt Craig, Greenside Law

Date walked: 07/10/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.9 km

Ascent: 668m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cramalt Craig route2.gif

Parking in the layby at NT 2010 2294 by the Megget reservoir I set off on a clockwise circuit to climb Cramalt Craig first. I walked along the road over the Cramalt Burn then through the first gate and along the west bank of the burn. After crossing the Stottin Cleugh burn a gate at the top of the bank led into a field with sheep. I kept to the fence and crossed it to find an ATV track beside it heading straight uphill. It took me up Stottin Rig to about 575m where it headed away to the north. For the next kilometre up Black Doddy (where do they get those names?) I followed deer(?) tracks through the heather until I meet more ATV tracks which took me to the summit cairn and its view of Broad Law.
P1000485 s.JPG

After a short stop I continued along the track over Dun Law until it suddenly showed signs of recent improvements and headed downhill to turn south and descend into the valley. Just before the turn a ramp headed left and a path/deer track led me almost to the track I wanted that heads past Notman Law – this is the medieval Thief’s Road or an extension of it. I was overtaken here by a collie and two runners expressing surprise at meeting anybody else.
P1000491 s.JPG

While they followed the fence over the top of Notmans Law, I stayed with the track and got to the col beyond before them. At Greenside Law there isn’t a cairn, but the end of a plastic pipe protrudes a few inches from the ground near where the OS mark the summit.
P1000492.JPG

Following Jaywizz’s advice I headed north for a view of Bitch Craig, but only descended slightly below my future route south over the shoulder of the hill. Also medieval, the Manor Water to Megget track gave a good way back to the reservoir with the first burst of sunshine of the day appearing as I was about half-way down. Nearing the road I cut the corner through the farmyard and the field beyond to a short walk back to the parking spot to find my car now sharing it with half a dozen sheep.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland