walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crail to Kingsbarns: A moo-ving experience on the coast path

Crail to Kingsbarns: A moo-ving experience on the coast path

Postby Stretch » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Route description: Fife Coastal Path 8: Crail to Kingsbarns , Fife Coastal Path

Date walked: 22/08/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 9 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided against doing any hillwalking this weekend even though Monty had invited me up to Glen Shiel to get blown away by the fierce wind. I hope he has safely parachuted off the south ridge by now. So I had a spur of the moment idea on what would routinely be a lazy Sunday to take the bus down to Crail and walk back to St Andrews. Packed a light bit of snacks and a jacket and took the 2:15 bus down to Crail and by 3 I was heading down the Fife Coastal Path following the route described on the site. It was fairly busy until I left the Crail area and made my way through the caravan park which was my least favorite part of the walk. With bright skies and a good breeze I made easy progress until I came to a very stubborn obstacle, or obstacles I should say. Two cows stared me down as I neared the halfway point of the walk. They were on the wrong side of a fence and had a drop of about 30 ft to the other side of them. I didn't want to spook them and watch them run off the cliff, so I tried to slowly coax them back to the opening in the fence. They weren't havin it :shock: I promised them I'd only eat lamb or chicken this week and they finally got themselves back in the field while all their friends gave them high-fives for standing up to me.

The walk was really nice and easy going and the fresh air was much needed. I decided to save the Kingsbarns to St Andrews day for another Sunday, but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it soon. From bus stop to bus stop this walk took me about 2 hours and 20 mins.

Crail Harbour.jpg

Start of the walk from Crail.jpg

A bit of bird-life.jpg

Kilminning Castle with cruise ship.jpg

Kilminning Castle rock formation.jpg

Fife Ness golf course.jpg

Fife Coast.jpg

Rock formation.jpg

A rock window.jpg

A potential obstacle.jpg

None shall pass!.jpg

Help, get me out of here.jpg

Not a good place to stick your head.jpg

The grass is always greener.jpg

You shall not pass!.jpg

Looking toward Kingsbarns Links.jpg

Kingsbarns Links.jpg

Cambo Sands to Kingsbarns.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Crail to Kingsbarns: A moo-ving experience on the coast path

Postby malky_c » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Really need to visit some more of the Fife coast sometime. Have been to St Andrews and Tentsmuir many times but my knowledge of the rest extends to what you can see from the train.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland