walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Triple Buttress

Triple Buttress

Postby GarryH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Route description: Triple Buttress of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Date walked: 06/02/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

April 2008

For those who prefer a less strenuous but no less rewarding walk, then this walk must not be missed if in the Torridon area.
The weather was ideal for walking if a little windy as we set off from the car park and up the steepest part of the walk on an easy to follow path.On leveling out the path cuts between Liathach and Beinn Eighe and on to some stepping stones before splitting.

DSC00875.JPG

Going right and climbing gently you see what a vast,remote and barren area this is.

DSC00878.JPG

DSC00879.JPG

Continuing along the clear stoney path the views become even more impressive

DSC00883.JPG

Eventually the path circles round the back of Sail Mhor and the short climb to the Coire can be seen, on reaching the top you are greeted by the magnificent sight of the triple buttress.

DSC00892.JPG

But it was the views looking away from the Coire that will always remain with me.Note the ghost like hand cloud shadow in the last photo.

DSC00896.JPG

DSC00897.JPG

The walk returns along the same route with no less magnificent scenery.
GarryH

Re: Triple Buttress

Postby fatdogwalks » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Looks like you got crackin weather for that part of the world...some great photos I haven't been up that way for a good few years and have never walked up there. Must remedy that this year. Thanks for the post and for reminding me to get off my rear end and head a bit further up the road :D .
fatdogwalks

Munros:79   Corbetts:25
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Great shots of a fabulous place. I've never managed to get a photo of the Triple Buttress catching the sun and your shot is the nearest I've seen to it :D . I reckon you'd have to camp there to get full sun on it in winter conditions - must do it sometime as it must be spectacular at dawn.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Cracking photos Torridon looks something special :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby mountain coward » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:33 am

You were luckier than me on my trip - I was going with a group (not as the leader or anything) to Beinn Eighe and, all the way round from the carpark, I was just waiting for that view of the Triple Buttress... when we got into the corrie, the cloud had come right down and we could only see the bottom of it:-( We had a good day on Beinn Eighe though...
mountain coward

Postby doogz » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:19 pm

standing above it is also very impressive..its a huge drop when you look over...

when we were there inside at the lochan a Hercules transporter plane was practicing or something flying dead at the hill on your last picture then veering like a red arrow up and away to the left...amazing to sit and see as we were having our tea..can post the pic on your reply part if you dont mind??

doogz 8) 8)
doogz

Postby IainG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 pm

It was very different when it wasn't frozen solid.

We were there on a wet day in the summer and the waterfalls between the terraces at the head of the loch were stunning, almost oriental in a way.

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby GarryH » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:01 am

Don`t mind at all doogz, looking forward to seeing it...........
GarryH

Postby doogz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:08 pm

here you are ...

Hope you like these ...just a few from a great day on this walk :D :D

Doogz 8) 8)
doogz

Postby GarryH » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:29 pm

3 great shots is the reflection shot the right way round? :lol: :lol: :lol:
GarryH

Postby mountain coward » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:32 am

IainG - that photo is so beautiful! It does look really oriental. It was just grey and black when I was there with lots of mist:-(
mountain coward

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland