walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein mor and Na gruagaichean

Binnein mor and Na gruagaichean

Postby Coop » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 30/10/2016

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1259m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Clocks went back - good news as it meant I didn't have to start walking in the dark. Left the house at 6, parked up beside the church and set off at 8.
Rain was forecast on and off for a couple of hours but it didnt really materialise.
Decent wee path all the way to Sgor eilde beag. There's a wee cairn here which shows you the option of going up a wee path over this. Looked quite steep so I took the skirting round option. May have been quicker going up, but it would have been a lot more tiring.
Round it was then and sgorr eilde mor looked impressive and so inviting from here. It was so close.
Saving it for another day with binnein beag so it was up to the ridge and onto the wee 1062 cairn, then summit of binnein mor .
Ben Nevis and it's surrounding hills had a bit of mist covering the summits but there were other great views all round me.
Met a lad on the summit and followed his advice on the descent from na gruagaichean.
Fine walk over the ridge and the boulders on the way to the summit of na gruagaichean.
Headed down steeply then up steeply to the top next door and saw the stalkers path in the beallach heading up to Stob Coire a chairn.
Good walk- boggy in places, down to the old sheepfold where i joined a main track going right heading down to mamore lodge.( after climbing over the gate which was stuck)

On the way down the track there's a small cairn heading into the woods on a path. Wee walk down through the woods, over a bridge then over the stream again, back on the ascent path down.
Went up and had a look at grey mares waterfall. I suppose it would have been more impressive if it had rained all day.
Stopped at the war memorial on the outskirts of the village on the way back to have a look and pay my respects as I normally do if I see one.

Cap doffed to Binnien mor and Na gruagaichean
Cheers.

Ps - if youre reading this- the memorial poem and picture of your lost loved one is still there. I placed a larger stone on it to make sure it stayed in place.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland