walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A family Goatfell outing in perfect October weather

A family Goatfell outing in perfect October weather

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:41 pm

Route description: Goatfell, from Corrie

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 01/10/2016

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 9.4 km

Ascent: 860m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Over in Arran for a long weekend with the whole family (twelve of us plus my sister's wee dog Midge) for my dad's Eightieth Birthday celebrations... Somewhat unexpectedly, the morning of Saturday 1st October dawned sunny and unseasonably warm, and naturally enough the talk over breakfast quickly turned to a potential Goatfell outing.
After a bit of tough decision-making between the rival attractions of the Brodick shops versus a Hill Day, the final ascent team was whittled down to just five of us: my sister's husband Mark with their daughter Emily (who is already a keen walker at age ten); me and my own Padawan apprentice Mhairi; and of course the Wee Dug, who is always up for a good walk :D .
We decided on the short, sharp ascent route from Corrie, and my mum kindly drove us up from Brodick where we were based, giving the opportunity for a nice linear route going up from Corrie and down to Cladach, eventually coming out at the Arran Brewery and the adjacent Wineport pub, handily enough :wink: .

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was us just about to set off on the signed route to Goatfell up the steep tarmacked track to High Corrie:
WR1 - group at start in Corrie.jpg

The Padawan Learner sporting some cool shades and stripy leggings:
WR2 - the Padawan in stripy leggings & shades.jpg

The Eightieth celebrations had already been started with gusto on the Friday night, however, and the Padawan and myself were feeling a bit green around the gills for the first half hour or so :lol: ... in fact, the Pawadan very nearly had to stop for a casual chunder! For some obscure reason Emily and Midge seemed to be feeling much less jaded than the rest of us, and were soon well ahead, needless to say.
WR3 - Emily on boulder on the way up.jpg

Thankfully the fresh air soon started to bring us round, and the views started to open up: wall-to-wall sunshine here on Arran, but quite a bit of lingering morning cloud over on the Ayrshire coast at this stage.
WR4 - view back down to Corrie with distant Ayrshire in cloud.jpg

Although the Corrie ascent is fairly unremittingly steep, there's a good path all the way up, and with the Corrie Burn glittering in the sunlight while it showed off its tumbling skills, there was plenty of scenic distraction whenever we had to stop to draw breath. Not that Emily actually had any requirement whatsoever to stop to draw breath at any point: it was more a matter of perching regularly on a boulder for five minutes while the Wrinklies caught up with her :lol: !
WR4B - Emily appreciating a wee waterfall on the burn.jpg

A bit higher up, the path comes to a fork at a cairn, with the right-hand branch heading straight on up the glen towards North Goatfell while the left-hand branch fords the burn to head more directly for the main Goatfell summit. We had decided on the easier left-hand-branch route, despite Emily's best attempts to persuade us to tackle the scrambly North Goatfell ridge. This was us about to cross the burn:
WR5 - about to cross the burn.jpg

Goatfell's summit environs were clearly visible by now, looking quite a bit pointier than I remember it when I last climbed it as a teenager :shock: .
WR6 - Emily with Goatfell peak in background.jpg

Emily and the Wee Dug were continuing to put the rest of us to shame :lol: ...
WR7 - Emily & Midge.jpg

The Padawan finally made it across the burn, and understandably felt the need to stop for a minute or two to commune with the Force while she sat on a boulder.
WR8 - the Padawan recovering from crossing the burn.jpg

Midge enjoying a wee Monarch of the Glen moment...
WR9 - Midge as Monarch of the Glen.jpg

Now it was time to tackle the steep nose of Meall Breac, after which a mildly scrambly wee hill path leads up Goatfell's east ridge to the main summit. Mark had dropped back a bit to keep the Padawan company, while I did my best to keep up with Emily (an increasingly forlorn hope).
WR10 - Mark and the Padawan start on the final ascent.jpg

The cloud had started to clear from the Ayrshire coast by now, and there was a nice view down over Big Cumbrae and Wee Cumbrae out to the north-east.
WR11 - view over Big & Wee Cumbrae.jpg

Emily insisted that we stop to take some photos of this wee chappy on the way up:
WR12 - Grass Man.jpg

It wasn't much further to the summit Trig point. Emily with Cir Mhor and Caisteal Abhail in the background:
WR13 - Emily at trig point with Cir Mhor & Casteil in background.jpg

Me at the top, sans Bobble Hat:
WR14 - BHK at trig point.jpg

The air clarity was quite spectacular, with views out right over Kintyre to the Paps of Jura to the NW, and right across Ireland as far as the distant Donegal hills to the SW. Cir Mhor and the A'Chir ridge were looking scarily precipitous, as ever!
WR15 - Emily, Mark & Midge at summit with Cir Mhor looking very pointy.jpg

The Padawan reaches the summit!
WR16 - the Padawan at the summit.jpg

Time for a lunch stop. Emily had soon wolfed down her lunch, and was enjoying a bit of casual scrambling with Midge while the rest of us munched our cheese sandwiches.
WR17 - Emily & Midge doing some casual scrambling.jpg

Sometimes the Dark Side of the Force I sense in this one...
WR18 - Emily weighs up the Dark Side of the Force.jpg

With some reluctance, we eventually left the amazing summit and set off back down. More grand views down onto Holy Isle on descent:
WR19 - Emily with Holy Isle on descent.jpg

Emily and the Padawan with Holy Isle in the background, as well as Ailsa Craig away in the distance to the right:
WR20 - the Padawan & Emily with Holy Isle in background.jpg

This time, where the path forks at a cairn a bit before reaching the Meall Breac promontory, we took the right-hand fork to descend south-east then south towards Cladach. The Wee Dug couldn't resist stopping for another Monarch of the Glen moment at this point!
WR21 - another Monarch of the Glen shot.jpg

Although it was quite a bit longer than the Corrie ascent route, the Cladach path gave an eay and enjoyable romp all the way back to the Arran Brewery. When we reached the Wineport, it was clearly time for the Padawan to receive further instruction in the Jedi Way:
WR22 - further instruction in the Jedi Way.jpg

My mum thankfully drove round to give us a lift back to Brodick, so we all had time to get showered and freshened up before the big Eightieth Birthday celebration that evening in the Brodick Bar. Here's the Birthday Boy with his cake:
WR23 - the Birthday Boy with his cake at Brodick Bar.jpg

A memorable outing, and truly amazing weather for October :D !
Last edited by bobble_hat_kenny on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Re: A family Goatfell outing in perfect October weather

Postby Jaxter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:17 am

Ahhh see this is a much more sensible way to do the linear walk, rather than ending up in Corrie after the bus and witha 4 mile walk :lol: :lol:

Lovely photos :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Lovely photos - sounds a great family weekend - and another walk report tempting me off to Goat Fell :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely photos - sounds a great family weekend - and another walk report tempting me off to Goat Fell :D :D

Thanks - the fabulous weather undoubtedly helped the photos!
Goatfell is a great hill, and the other three slightly lower Corbetts are arguably even better (although actually a wee bit more strenuous - size isn't everything :lol: ). Cir Mhor is particularly good.
The rest of the island has a lot to offer, too :D !
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Jaxter wrote:Ahhh see this is a much more sensible way to do the linear walk, rather than ending up in Corrie after the bus and witha 4 mile walk :lol: :lol:

Lovely photos :clap:

Thanks again!
Yes, doing the walk this way round does make for an easier return to Brodick: although the Corrie Hotel would be another good watering hole if doing this route in the opposite direction, I suppose :wink: !
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland