walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bog Nightmare? NO! Carn Dearg, Carn Sgulain & A'Chailleach

Bog Nightmare? NO! Carn Dearg, Carn Sgulain & A'Chailleach

Postby hundenase » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 am

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 30/10/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone, my first walk report on walkhighlands :shock:

Whoever I talked to about the 3 Munros from Newtonmore had the same thing to say: Prepare for bog fest and that there is hardly a walk in the highlands that boggy. Well, I have seen a bit of bog in my lifetime and was not really looking forward to a day filled with bog, peat hags and wet feet.
But there is a very good thing in being a Munro bagger.... You cannot give in to thoughts like "too boggy, can't be bothered" :clap:
So off I went, not long after the carpark and after a Stalker 4WD track that had already lulled me into believing I could be making good progress today I crossed the footbridge and through some bog, but nothing major, started climbing the hill. I later talked to a local who said that it is far easier to ignore the FB and continue up Allt a`Chaorainn before making for a more direct ascent of the first Munro of the day, A Chailleach.
I reached the and summit with my toes still dry, what a luxury!

I then did not bother with walking around the Allt Cuil Na Caillich and made almost a beeline for the summit pf Carn Sgulain. From then on, navigation gets easy - well, with visibility still good, it was easy anyway - and the route to Carn Dearg makes for lovely walking with lots of hare, an eagle (made the day special) and grouse for company.
When I reached Carn Dearg I was looking down into the maze of bog and peat hags that was meant to be the route back if I were to follow the route description.
Doggy looking at the peat hags too: Image
Over a well-earned rest I studied the map and found a route that looked good on paper and it turned out to be a bit wet underfoot in places but not boggy and I did not come across any peat hags at all: I walked S from the summit down to the Col between Carn Dearg and CarnMacoul , turned E and descended into Allt Ballach, forded the brook near the old farmstead and then followed the path back to the carpark.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

What a fantastic day in fantastic weather conditions! Image
hundenase
Stravaiging

Munros:270   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:80   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland