walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mebbe it always rains in Kintail!

Mebbe it always rains in Kintail!

Postby Jaxter » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 29/10/2016

Time taken: 4.45 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a week of a horrible cold and total exhaustion it was touch and go whether I would make it to the meet…but in the end I chucked my stuff in the car on Friday lunchtime and headed up the road.

Despite the extremely iffy forecast for the weekend, Friday was a beautiful day and I had a few stops for photos along the way :D

Water of Tulla

Sun breaking through the clouds

Loch Lochy sunset

Loch Garry

Arriving at Ratagan I had to stop for a few more photos along the final stretch to the Youth Hostel

An enjoyable evening was had and plans were made for the next morning. My plan was to get up and decide what to do in the morning…

….which was to join Jim, Lynne and Tommy for an assault on Beinn Sgritheall; a very steep and unforgiving mountain…not ideal for my knee but I was promised that we were going up and shorter and easier route.

We had a very leisurely breakfast and several rounds of tea and coffee before the weather began to clear as the forecast was suggesting. Jim gave us a lift round in his ‘van’ and we parked up 3km short of Armisdale at the bottom of the standard descent route. We booted up and set off. It was raining lightly but looked fairly clear lower down for now.

And off we went…the path was absolutely brutal from the start. Pushing through tall grass initially, then into dense woodland, Tommy managed to attract several ticks whilst the rest of us just discussed how ill he could get… :shock:

Looking towards Barrisdale Bay

Out to sea..

The path wound up the extremely steep hillside and we followed it, clambering over rocks and under tree branches until arriving at a holly tree growing in a wee clearing where a better looking path emerged. Deciding to use that path to return, we continued uphill. From here it was no less steep but a slightly better path.

Eventually we came out of the trees and into the clag. And there we would stay for some time.

We plodded on up, eventually reaching the ridge and turning right onto the ridge. The path here took us all the way to the summit. Steep rocky sections alternated with slightly flatter sections and we discussed a variety of subjects including the merits of different types of pants (I think boxers won the day) and the best main course (steak was mentioned a lot here) until the final pull to the summit.

The wind had picked up by now and was blowing the clag at us so waterproof trousers were donned in most cases. We arrived at the summit and this is what we should have seen, thanks to Google:

However, poor weather was no excuse not to pose…

We sat down and enjoyed our sandwiches, and Jim got this group shot:

Eventually it was time to head down. Lynne and I were not looking forward to this, however my knee had stood up to the assault so far so I was cautiously optimistic :thumbup:

We were walking into the wind now, so got our heads down and got on with it :? Topics of discussion had now turned to comfort food – choice of desserts and then the merits of gin :lol: This got us most of the way down. We took the easier path down the final descent which was much easier on the knee and we eventually reached the car after just under 5 hours.

Jim pulled a bottle of gin (for non drivers) and a box of chocolates out and celebrated in style...

....before heading back along the road…

…for a well earned shower, dinner and then the quiz where I managed to retain my crown…

…and was then turned on by the team mates and nominated to organise the next meet. But hey, we won :lol:

The next morning was a fairly slow start and I eventually headed down the road enjoying a few photos on the way….

The view from the hostel

Loch Cluanie

Wee inversion on Nevis Range from the Commando Memorial

The Aonach Eagach

Sun glistening on Water of Tulla

The Falls of Falloch - often driven past but never visited

Loch Lomond

A fabulous weekend as always – looking forward to the next one. Now I just need to organise it... :shock: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Mebbe it always rains in Kintail!

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:42 pm

BRUTAL - a perfect word to describe that path! We used it only in descent but despite decent weather, we still hated it. Mind you, going up straight from the village is just as step :?

The two Corbetts next to Sgritheall are even worse, I had blood blisters on my feet after visiting them...

It was a great meet, shame weather was c***... Now as the next organizer, you have to order better conditions for the spring meet :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:36 pm

despite the bad weather,steep climb, wet feet, no views and little ticky beasties we managed to have a great day, all down to the company and the joie de vivre that they brought (and the gin) :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:05 pm

It may have been dreich weather but some of your shots of cloudy skies are atmospheric and beautiful. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Yorjick » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Just for comparison . . . . The Falls of Falloch on 10 August 2004!

Falls of Falloch 5.jpg
After a long period of wet weather
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Jaxter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:23 pm

BlackPanther wrote:BRUTAL - a perfect word to describe that path! We used it only in descent but despite decent weather, we still hated it. Mind you, going up straight from the village is just as step :?

The two Corbetts next to Sgritheall are even worse, I had blood blisters on my feet after visiting them...

It was a great meet, shame weather was c***... Now as the next organizer, you have to order better conditions for the spring meet :lol: :lol:

nae pressure then :shock: :shock: I'll do my best :lol:

tomyboy73 wrote:despite the bad weather,steep climb, wet feet, no views and little ticky beasties we managed to have a great day, all down to the company and the joie de vivre that they brought (and the gin) :lol:

It was good wasn't it :D Amazing what good company can do :lol:

dogplodder wrote:It may have been dreich weather but some of your shots of cloudy skies are atmospheric and beautiful. 8)

Thankyou :D :D

Yorjick wrote:Just for comparison . . . . The Falls of Falloch on 10 August 2004!

Falls of Falloch 5.jpg

Whoa..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland