walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie - Munro number 20

Ben Chonzie - Munro number 20

Postby KatTai » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 02/11/2016

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thought our Munro season was over as I'm not a winter walker, but the forecast for today (my day off, missed the glorious sunshine!) was pretty good so we headed out to Ben Chonzie to bag Millie the collie and my 20th Munro!

a.jpg

It was a pleasant walk through the glen, nothing strenuous so we made good progress. The bit that concerned me was crossing the stream below the dam. I'd read some previous reports that didn't fill me with much confidence but when the dam was in view I could see the ford was bone dry!

b.jpg

That obstacle out the way, we continued on coming across several grouse but no mountain hare.

c.jpg

There were, however, plenty of sheep around so the dogs were stuck on the lead much to their disappointment!

e.jpg

Reaching the cairn, we turned off the main track and onto a boggy but of path leading up the flank of Ben Chonzie. Higher up, the boggy bits were frozen so much firmer ground and the views were pretty good, almost like sunset/sunrise for most of the walk!

f.jpg

The fence posts came into sight, and it was an easy task of following the fence posts (okay, we did cut off a corner!) all the way to the summit!

h1.jpg

At the summit the dogs posed for their summit photo - Munro number 20 for Millie (speckled collie) and Dottie the Dalmatian (the cuddly toy) and 16 for Moss!

1.jpg

With the summit plateau free of sheep, the dogs were allowed some free-time to have a run, roll and a play around..and eat some rabbit poop as dogs do!

21.jpg

23.jpg

12.jpg

Then it was time to head back down following the same route back. It might not have been the most challenging of walks, but it was great to get another shot up in the hills before the snow comes and is a really good quick walk for the shorter days! And the dogs, as always, really enjoyed getting back out on another adventure. As a bonus, I was back in plenty of time to nip into Dundee and pick up a few Christmas presents AND arrange a special pressie for my oldie dog Fly!

28.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland