walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Munro - Ben Lomond

First Munro - Ben Lomond

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 21/08/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi,

Finally got round to climbing my first Munro on Saturday. Me and a mate climbed Ben Lomond. It took us 2 hours up and 1 hour 15 mins back down. I think we were quite lucky with the timings as it stayed reasonably clear allowing us pics at the top but just as we were leaving the clouds came in and the rain started.

There were only a couple of people at the summit but as we were coming back down there was a steady stream of people heading up.

The craziest/most impressive thing we seen was a girl running up the mountain and back down again. We headed of together and an hour and 30 mins later she passed us running back doen the hill.

Very enjoyable day so much so we are climbing another this sunday. We are going to do Ben Vorlich and stuc a Chroin from ardvorlich.

Any way enough rambling by me, heres a few pics for those who are interested.

Cheers

Eddie

Me at the top

The summit

A few views
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: First Munro - Ben Lomond

Postby Alan Weir » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Its not the running up and down hill you got watch out for, its the mountain bikes coming down hill.
Alan Weir
Hill Bagger

Munros:39   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Postby billgerrie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:20 pm

What no pic of girl running up!
My son and I took 2hrs 10mins up Ben Nevis on Sat. 14th Aug, he has his sights on ben Lomond in 1hr.
Is it doable walking or would that time require running?
Any thoughts, good trianing walk anyway.
billgerrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:14
Donalds:4

Postby xpfloyd » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 am

billgerrie wrote:What no pic of girl running up!
My son and I took 2hrs 10mins up Ben Nevis on Sat. 14th Aug, he has his sights on ben Lomond in 1hr.
Is it doable walking or would that time require running?
Any thoughts, good trianing walk anyway.

Hi

No pics unfortunately :)

With Ben Lomond being my first Munro I am unsure about how quick I was going pace wise as I wasnt really trying to beat a time or anything. We passed alot of people on the way up which made me think we were making good progress but as I say im unsure.

Personally I think that to half the time it took me to get up and hit the 1 hour mark you would have to run. I may be wrong though. I was just glad to get to the top to kick my munro challenge off, I wasnt really too fussed about time.

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland