walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Isle of Skye - Fairy Glen, Wild Camp and Quiraing Sunrise!

Isle of Skye - Fairy Glen, Wild Camp and Quiraing Sunrise!

Postby grahamw » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Route description: The Fairy Glen, near Uig

Date walked: 08/10/2016

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather at the beginning of October was superb and luckily it tied in with a weeks holiday I had booked from work. A last minute decision saw myself and my mate Sean grab our cameras and tents and headed to the Isle of Skye for a wild camp and photography trip!! I was on Skye for the first time earlier this year on a family holiday and instantly fell in love with the place. I knew I had to come back and dedicate some time to landscape photography.

We left central Scotland at 6:30am on Sat 8th Oct and headed for the Fairy Glen, towards the north of the island. To break the 6.5 hour journey we stopped at Eilan Donan Castle to get a few pictures.

Image1 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr
Image17 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

The next stop was the Fairy Glen, near Uig. As soon as you cross the Skye Bridge and start to head towards Portree you instantly forget about the travelling as you pass through the beautiful landscape. We arrived at the Fairy Glen about 15:00 and decided we would spend two hours exploring and photographing this enchanted area. To be honest, I could have spent a full day taking pictures here, so many compositions to choose from. We climbed to the top of Castle Ewen, which is a great vantage point, took a few more pics and then decided we would head across country to The Quiraing to set up camp.

Image37 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

Image28 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

Image23 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

Image39 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

We parked the car at the bottom car park and walked over towards the famous Quiraing tree to find a pitch. As we were pitching our tents the sun was setting to the west of the island. We decided to pitch the tents on the east coast, so we could capture the sunrise in the morning. As the sun was setting we looked across to see the sun clipping the tops of the Quiraing hills. The tents got left lying flat as we rushed about trying to capture this incredible scene that was happening right in front of us. The light faded very quickly, but I was lucky enough to get one image!

Image30 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

The weather was pretty cloudy, but the clouds were supposed to clear at around 23:00. I was hopeful of an amazing Astro shot with my tent lit up in the foreground, the hills of the Quiraing behind the tent and the milky way towering above...not one star appeared. After "a few" shandies I went to bed gutted the stars weren't out.

After a couple of hours sleep my alarm went off at 5:30am. Time to get up and head to the Quirang Tree for Sunrise. It was still pitch black with some faint light appearing on the horizon. It wasn't until I started taking photos of the tent lit up that I realised the potential for an amazing sunrise. I was taking some long exposure shots of the tent and the camera was obviously capturing more light than my eyes could see. I knew at this point we were in for a spectacular sunrise!

ImageQuiraing - Wild camp by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageQuiraing Sunrise by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

Image15 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

Image13 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageQuiraing Sunrise - Looking East towards mainland by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageIsle Of Skye - Quiraing Tree by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

What we witnessed that morning truly was a one off sunrise - the light was soft, the cloud cover was perfect which created amazing colours across the sky, there was no wind at all and as it was early October there were no midges!!! Nine times out of ten whilst shooting landscape photography in Scotland you face problems, usually with the weather, but that one time when everything comes together is a very unique and rewarding experience.

After flying my drone about for a bit we headed to the Fairy Pools on the road home, stopping off in a lay by to get a quick snap of the Old Man Of Storr. What a great experience wild camping on one of Scotland's finest islands.

ImageIsle Of Skye - Old Man Of Storr by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageIsle Of Skye - Fairy Pools by Graham Williamson, on Flickr
grahamw

Munros:85   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Re: Isle of Skye - Fairy Glen, Wild Camp and Quiraing Sunris

Postby tweedledog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am

Great photographs, thank you. What kit were you using?
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:13 am

Amazing photos! I would have never thought of camping up for, but you gave me some ideas :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby grahamw » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:59 pm

tweedledog wrote:Great photographs, thank you. What kit were you using?

Thanks - I was using a Sony A7r camera and Zeiss 16-35mm lens. Shot the photo at 16mm so I could fit the sun star, tree and hills into the frame.
grahamw

Postby grahamw » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:02 am

Mountainlove wrote:Amazing photos! I would have never thought of camping up for, but you gave me some ideas :D

Thanks! We were lucky with the weather that weekend. Was an amazing place to camp.
grahamw

Postby tweedledog » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:14 am

grahamw wrote:
tweedledog wrote:Great photographs, thank you. What kit were you using?

Thanks - I was using a Sony A7r camera and Zeiss 16-35mm lens. Shot the photo at 16mm so I could fit the sun star, tree and hills into the frame.

Very nice. I'm envious. Wish I was carrying something as light with a lens that good! :)
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Stunning - esp the shots of the sunrise and the Old Man Of Storr. :thumbup:
Must be a rather good camera to get that level of detail ?- cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby grahamw » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:55 pm

rockhopper wrote:Stunning - esp the shots of the sunrise and the Old Man Of Storr. :thumbup:
Must be a rather good camera to get that level of detail ?- cheers :)

Cheers Rockhopper. Using a Sony A7r camera with a Zeiss 16-35mm lens. The lens is very sharp! Never lets me down for landscape. Thanks mate
grahamw

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Trotternish is a photographer's paradise, as your photos demonstrate. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland