walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue via Hell ;)

Ben Venue via Hell ;)

Postby ryppn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 31/07/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 725m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second attempt to climb a hill after the failed attempt the previous weekend on Meall Ghaordaidh. We set off reasonably early and arrived at the Parking Area next to Loch Achray around 1pm.
31072010034.jpg
Loch Achray by the Parking Area

The Countryside was quite pleasant and views up to the top started to appear in front of us as we walked toward the forested area.
31072010036.jpg
It can see us coming!

We continued to walk along the path, marked by colour coded posts and after an eternity we came out onto an open area which crossed uphill over to another treeline. Once through this second wooded section we emerged out onto a boggy section up a raised area where we were delighted by the small waterfall. Upward and soon we passed the large cairn mentioned in the walk notes. As we continued to climb the views really started to improve.
31072010038.jpg
Other hilltops appearing as we climb.

As we rounded a few undulations a loch suddenly appeared to our left.
31072010040.jpg
Loch Katrine, can you see the goats down the slope in the foreground?

We then had a scramble to get up the last of the way but we were blessed with some great views as reward.
31072010042.jpg
View from the top

31072010044.jpg
Obligatory summit shot.

After this point the phone ran out of charge so I had no opportunity to record the horror of the return, including going over on my ankle three times (I have MS which makes me a bit clumsy), but filled with my usual determination we finally got back to the carpark. :D

All in all, a very worthwhile trip and we've already attempted Ben Chonzie since, but I'll write that up once we get to the top, hopefully on the next attempt!

Top lesson learnt so far... get a damn GPS! My brother can't read a map to save himself which caused the abort on Meall Ghaordaidh due to a wrong turn at the Shiellings.

Best laugh... marching to some unknown hill in the distance, then, after realising it's the wrong one, turning to my brother and asking "Did you bring the ring?"

Anyways, I hope you enjoy my first writeup :lol:

Best Regards,

John
ryppn
Munro compleatist

Munros:40   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Venue via Hell ;)

Postby kevsbald » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:08 am

Well done, John. You should try the Tiso course on navigation (£40) as this is a good wee course for knowing how to navigate.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57 pm

You're doing brilliantly to say you've got MS - well done. I haven't done that one yet - it does look nice though. Nice first report :D
mountain coward

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:05 pm

ryppn wrote:Ben Venue via Hell

Didn't realize Ibrox was so close to Ben Venue ;).

A GPS is a good idea but map and compass reading is a more important skill. As Kev says, there are good and reasonably priced short courses you can do. Also, IMO, map reading is more fun and you can pick out distant hills/features/towns etc that you can't see on a small GPS screen. If like me you're really sad, you may find yourself "reading" maps just for fun...
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland