walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WH Meet & Blind summits in the mist – A' Ghlas Bheinn

WH Meet & Blind summits in the mist – A' Ghlas Bheinn

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Route description: A' Ghlas Bheinn and the Falls of Glomach

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn

Date walked: 29/10/2016

Time taken: 6.1 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1151m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the weekend of the famous Walkhighland Meet and I had been looking forward to meet some old and new friends during the next couple of days. A few hardy souls and myself decided to brave the elements and camped 2 miles away from the venue.

I had planned to do A' Ghlas Bheinn and Beinn Fhada or just A' Ghlas Bheinn if the weather would not play ball and to be able to get up early without any hangover I had limited myself to 2 small bottles of beer during the Friday night. Asking around to see if anyone else had the hills in mind, Hugh volunteered to join me :clap: and we arranged to meet at 8am during the next morning.

The first evening was great, but I guess any night with a bunch of hill mad people simply has to be. :D

Just as promised Hugh appeared during the next morning and just after 8am we were off. Once we arrived at the starting point, I followed Hughs lead and we were off ready to climb hills. Walking along the wide land rover track was great and the time seemed to fly, while I chatted away telling Hugh about my holiday to Indonesia and the climb up the Volcano. If you are interested the story is here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67719

Half an hour or so passed when I told Hugh that I have to check my map, because something did not seem to add up in my head. :think:
Looking at the map it soon became apparent that we walked into the complete opposite direction. :shock: 8) Ups! :shifty: So much for chatting too much and not paying attention. 8) :lol: We returned and once we were back at the car and read the helpful sign which actually pointed in the right direction :shifty: (double ups) we were finally on the right track.

The sign

The path

Feral goat on the way

The path was slightly narrower than the previous one (we decided to call it our warm up) but the views were stunning even with the low clouds hiding the tops of the mountains. The hill side seemed to shine orange and I had to stop frequently to take photos.

Autumn colors

Lovely waterfalls on the way

The dramatic bealach between the 2 Munros

The path climbed all the way up towards the Bealach an Sgairne and once we stood on it we could enjoy the views towards Loch a Bhaelaich and Loch Gaorsaic which looked magical.

Myself with Loch a Bhaelaich and Loch Gaorsaic behind me

Panoramic view

30624551841_51e2cff7a6_z.jpg

Hugh playing weather man ...On my right you can see clag

From the bealach we started to climb I remembered that A' Ghlas Bheinn consisted of a few blind summits and so we ignored the first 3 until the summit came into view, hidden by thick mist. Walking on we climbed to the top only to realize that it was yet again another blind summit. We continued and the light rain which had started a while ago seemed to be persistent. Continuing we must have passed another 5 blinds summits and were starting to feel really fed up when finally the real summit came into view, although we did not believe it until we actually saw the summit cairn.

Me at the summit (when we finally got to it)

By that time both of us agreed that we would leave Beinn Fhada for another day, as we preferred to be back in daylight and relax before another night with the Walkhighland Gang.
We returned the same way we walked up and the clouds lifted slightly and we were able to see what we have been missing on the way up (mainly the never-ending blind summits)

30080960954_aa2913dcb0_z.jpg

2 of the at least 10 blind summits ion the way down

During the return - the bealach

The walk back

Moody mountain view

The second evening was equally great to the first one, but I will let some pictures speak for themselves.

The Quiz master

The requirements of a meet

The Walkhighlanders

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: WH Meet & Blind summits in the mist – A' Ghlas Bheinn

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:53 pm

Always a sound idea to do a short warm up before embarking on a long hill day Maja! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Borderhugh » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:17 am

Nice one Maja. That trip will teach us to stop blethering at the start!

Despite the clag, I really enjoyed our day out. After 4 -5 weeks of no hills I was happy to take on anything.

Think we did the right thing though saving Fhada for another day and a trip up the back of the Sisters! :lol:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 am

Let's face it the weather could have been better but apart from that the whole weekend was superb. Cracking photos gives a taste of a WH meet weekend.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Great weekend in great company :D :D :D Can't wait for the next meet, hopefully weather's better in April!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland