walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lows and Lows of the Heights of Kinlochewe

The Lows and Lows of the Heights of Kinlochewe

by Roger T » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Route description: Kinlochewe to Shenavall

Date walked: 03/11/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 300m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Lows and Lows of the Heights of Kinlochewe

Postby basscadet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:46 pm

It is an eyesore, and I wish power wasn't necessary but hopefully the wounds will heal eventually.. There have been times in the past where they have built big hydro schemes which have healed to an extent. Take the Fannaichs for instance - Its great fun walking the big pipe back to the road instead of the track, and while there are a few signs of hydro about, it is a long way from horrific. :)
It would be nice if we had sufficient space for hydro schemes to generate enough power for the country and have enough space left to fit all our wilderness areas into as well, but I guess we are too small a country for both to fit in comfortably, and a comprimise has to be reached.
I personally think that hydro schemes are slightly better than the wind farms - more useful for longer and the visual impact is far less in the long run.
I do have big reservations about the developers doing what they say to put the damage right though, and we need far better inspections to make sure obligations are stuck to.
I was recently round the back of S Glenshiel ridge. I came across a new hydro scheme, (made an uncrossable river crossable - hurrah) followed the track that had inevitably been built for installation for a couple of KM, where it disappeared just out of sight from civilisation. I was very sceptical that the whole track wasn't supposed to be removed and get put right, but obviously the inspector isn't going to get his boots dirty, so just the end of the track was enough :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Yellow mushrooms?

Cheers, BP

The yellow mushrooms were planted by me a week earlier - don't know what they are but were left lying about - i felt like making the mess a little prettier, maybe symbolising nature coming back
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:217   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:377   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Frimousse » Sat May 13, 2017 6:39 pm

I was so taken with the passionate but respectful and balanced tone of this particular debate that I registered specifically to be able to comment on it. Personally I think it's shameful that Scotland's most astounding landscapes should be trashed for commercial gain when the contribution these schemes make to the Grid is relatively tiny. There are simply too many humans on this earth, and too many of the too many humans want too much. And so it goes on and will probably keep going on. It sounds an extreme view, and I know most people won't agree with it or will think it unenforceable, but we really need to look stark reality in the face and stop trying to have our cake and eat it. As one contributor commented, it wouldn't be so bad if they would just show respect for the landscape and wildlife when they put these schemes in; but they don't, no-one bothers to check and nothing is enforced, which means the hideous tracks stay put. Glen Falloch near Crianlarich is a prime example of shocking design and shoddy implementation.

Thanks for a calmer view of the issues involved and also for the pointers to other, less emotionally harrowing, ways to access these hills.
Frimousse
Munro compleatist

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland