walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain...#50!

Stuchd an Lochain...#50!

Postby StevieC » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:17 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 02/11/2016

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stuchd an Lochain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

One of my New Year's resolutions was to get my Munro count up to 50 this year...I think I was on about 35 at the start of the year. I've been sitting on 49 for a while, so I decided to take a day off midweek and get number 50 in before the winter sets in. I picked Stuchd an Lochain with an eye on the shorter daylight hours...

There's a parking area just short of the dam, which was empty when I pulled up just before 10am. The path takes you across a bridge (locked gate to climb over) and then up through a plantation and comes out at the south end of the dam.

Giorra Dam

Loch an Daimh

Just after the dam the path continues towards a boathouse, but look out on the left - just past the dam - for a small cairn indicating the start of the path up the hill. It climbs at a shallow angle at first before turning straight up towards the ridge line. It's one of those paths that's basically a trench filled with rubble, and pretty wet too, but it's not too long before you reach the ridge, where there's a line of fence posts that will take you all the way to the top of Stuchd an Lochain - a cairn marks the spot where you have to turn right and head upward.

Path and fence line leading to Stuchd an Lochain

As you climb this section don't forget to look back for great views down the length of Glen Lyon.

View down Glen Lyoin

After a short while Stuchd an Lochain comes into view. The path skirts round the edge of a large corrie containing Lochan nan Cat - almost perfectly circular.

Stuchd an Lochain

Lochan nan Cat

After a short but steep final pull up to the summit I could celebrate my modest achievement...50 munros in the bag.

Summit #50

I don't like "there and back" walks if I can help it, so I decided to descend the north ridge and head straight for the shores of the loch and head back from there...not really recommended! The descent is fine, but the walk along the shores of the loch isn't very pleasant and probably added about half an hour to the time it took to get back to the car.

So New Year's resolution achieved. Might try and squeeze a few more in before the snow arrives and who knows, maybe 100 by this time next year??
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Stuchd an Lochain...#50!

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:46 am

Congratulations on getting to #50 :thumbup:
A few multi hill days and/or ridge walks and you'll be at #100 before you know it :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland