walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A fine way up but not a fine way down Cruach Mhalaig

A fine way up but not a fine way down Cruach Mhalaig

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Route description: Mallaig circuit

Date walked: 27/05/2016

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The village of Mallaig was founded in the 1840s, when Lord Lovat, the owner of the North Morar estate, divided up the land and encouraged his tenants to move to the western part of the peninsula and turn to fishing as a way of life. The population and local economy expanded rapidly in the 20th century with the arrival of the railway. It's also the starting point for ferries sailing to Armadale on Skye, Inverie in Knoydart, and the small isles of Rum, Eigg, Muck, and Canna. Thanks in part to Lovat, Mallaig became the main commercial fishing port on the west coast of Scotland, and during the 1960s was the busiest herring port in Europe. As such it's had its share of loss of life at sea.

Memorial to those lost at sea
IMG_0530-large.JPG

Mallaig harbour from where we parked
IMG_0663-large.JPG

We left the car in the East Bay car park and started the walk by the side of a bungalow next to the Springbank Guest House. The path passes through a gate and the day we went was busy with people walking their dogs.

Partly paved path
IMG_0665-large.JPG

There are a number of benches for folk to sit and enjoy the view over the harbour so Pete and the dogs decided to try one.

Bench with a view
IMG_0666-large.JPG

IMG_0667c-large.JPG

We took the detour off the main path to the left to walk north along a little ridge which gave good views to the west and led to a viewpoint above the scattered houses of Mallaig Bheag and out towards the hills of Knoydart.

West to Eigg, Rum and Sleat peninsula of Skye
IMG_0670c-large.JPG

Jack surveying the view west
IMG_0671c-large.JPG

Jack leading the way
IMG_0672c-large.JPG

Viewpoint at the end of the ridge
IMG_0676c-large.JPG

The previous day on the beaches at Arisaig we had met a man with his dog Ghillie and as we chatted he had mentioned he had a son who was into walking. The next day I looked at the description for this walk and read the user report by Duncan who mentioned his dog Ghillie, which was too much of a coincidence and it had to be the same one! So at the back of my mind I was angling to include the hill Cruach Mhalaig but wasn't sure if it would work out with what Pete was wanting to do and I didn't have any means of printing out Duncan's map and directions so it was all left a bit vague.

When I saw the track curving round the north side of the target hill it looked a suitably easy walking approach with views over Loch Nevis to Knoydart, which Pete could accompany me on before I headed off piste to reach the summit.

Settlement of Mallaig Bheag and track leading round the hill
IMG_0681c-large.JPG

We retraced our steps a short distance then turned left down a faint path to reach the main path of the circular route we'd started on and continued in the direction of the houses at Mallaig Bheag.

Cruach Mhalaig on right straight ahead
IMG_0686c-large.JPG

When we reached an obvious junction we turned right and walked uphill to follow the track I'd seen earlier winding round the base of the hill. Pete then decided he'd turn back to investigate a second hand bookshop in Mallaig and I continued until it seemed a good point to leave the track and head up the hill.

The track we followed round north side of the hill
IMG_0693c-large.JPG

Point where I left the track
IMG_0695c-large.JPG

Boat heading for Inverie
IMG_0696c-large.JPG

There was no path but it was easy walking over heather and grass. The gradient eased as we reached lumpy ground at the top and I spotted the cairn on one of the humps a bit to the south.

Cruach Mhalaig summit
IMG_0699c-large.JPG

Islands of Eigg and Rum
IMG_0700c-large.JPG

North west to Knoydart
IMG_0701c-large.JPG

South to Loch an Nostarie
IMG_0702c-large.JPG

I'd arranged to meet Pete back at the car an hour after we parted so decided the quickest way off the hill was straight down the west side, which I knew to be steep but hadn't clocked the knee high heather and waist high bracken to be negotiated along with the steepness!

When I got home and checked the map I realised a better route would have been to walk a bit further south along the top then down less steeply to return by the path we'd taken at the start. But I think part of me was keen to complete the Mallaig circuit so heading straight off is what I did.

To start with the gradient was gentle
IMG_0703-large.JPG

Then it got steeper
IMG_0704-large.JPG

Jack saying "Is this really the way you want to go?"
IMG_0705-large.JPG

The thick mix of heather, bracken, myrtle and bramble was high enough to inhibit walking and when the dogs forged through it they disappeared completely. I was annoyed with myself for my choice of route but by this point just had to bash on through it, miraculously only snagging my trousers once on the barbs of a trailing bramble!

My dogs are in there somewhere
IMG_0706-largec.JPG

Once clear of the jungle of bracken etc it was a case of hopping over wet areas by a stream then through a gate into a field of grass beside a cottage, which might have been private land but by this stage I was just trying to reach the road any way I could. I passed a large rock but don't know if it was there by accident or design.

Random rock
IMG_0707-large.JPG

Once on tarmac I put the dogs on the lead and we trotted back to Mallaig and the car park by the harbour. Pete saw us coming and drove along to meet us meaning we were only 5 minutes later than I'd predicted we would be.

IMG_0708-large.JPG

Adding the hill to the Mallaig circuit is a good addition if you want more of an adventure but, direct though it may be, I don't particularly recommend my descent route!

Mallaig and Cruach Mhalaig taken on return from Rum two days earlier
IMG_0482-large.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: A fine way up but not a fine way down Cruach Mhalaig

Postby shredder » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:43 pm

What a magnificent backdrop to Mallaig in that last photo. Looks a fine wee walk too. 8)
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Re: A fine way up but not a fine way down Cruach Mhalaig

Postby HansR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Reaching Mallaig in the afternoon the circuit seemed to be appropriate. What a surprising route with always new high lights. So rich in variety of nature with surprising changes of character. :clap: Some parts of the way are quiet sludgy so it might be difficult after a lot of rain. And some mountain experience is necessary when you have to guess where the path might be located. Nevertheless a great experience for such a short walk you can start just from a rail station.
Attachments
P8130330.jpeg
P8130337.jpeg
P8130345.jpeg
IMG_1025.jpeg
P8130349.jpeg
IMG_1026.jpeg
P8130328.jpeg
P8130350.jpeg
P8130354.jpeg
P8130351.jpeg
HansR
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland