walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

We were all Raven about this tasty Kintail Graham!

We were all Raven about this tasty Kintail Graham!

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Biod an Fhithich

Date walked: 30/10/2016

Time taken: 4.7 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 740m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Sunday of the Ratagan meet and I put my quest for Munro number 200 on hold in favour of joining Hugh to tackle the nearby Corbett-Graham duo of Sgurr Mhic Bharraich and Biod an Fhithich, the Hill of the Ravens. Dave also elected to join us and so we all drove the short distance round the road to the Glen Shiel campsite behind the petrol station from where we would first tackle the Graham via the long northern ridge of A'Mhuing.

Al and Alison, who had been camped at the site, were also gearing up for the Graham and so we made a hasty start in the sure and certain knowledge that they would soon catch us up. We left the track after a few hundred metres and took to the ridge looking for any hint of a path. Dave and I took a higher line than Hugh before we all met up after 20 minutes or so without much being seen that could be said to resemble a path.

True enough, Al and Alison soon caught us up from which point the five of us walked together for the remainder of the day. Al and Alison had previously done the Corbett and with both the last couple of nights in the hostel and the early darkness of post clock change winter catching up with us, Dave, Hugh and I decided to give it a miss for today and just walk straight out to our cars for our respective onwards journeys.

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich from the start of the hill path behind the campsite

On the long A'Mhuing ridge with Sgurr na Creige to the right

Loch Duich, Sgurr an Airgid and Sgurr an t-Searraich

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich and Loch Duich behind Al, Dave and Alison

It wouldn't be a Graham without a good peat hag along the way!

The summit still a few ups and downs away

Down into Coire Chaoil

The A87 through Glen Shiel

Al and Alison, probably arguing over the possibility of stopping off for a Sub on the way down the road later

Dave and Hugh spread out below

Getting there

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich and Loch Duich

Dave and Alison at the summit

Hugh and the bealach leading up onto the Forcan Ridge

Dave and myself at the summit

Dropping down towards the bealach

Al and Dave leading the way out through Coire Chaoil

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich can wait

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:125
Fionas:76   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: We were all Raven about this tasty Kintail Graham!

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks for this tasty morsel - I missed the graham, must go back for it, that peat hag looks awesome :lol: :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: We were all Raven about this tasty Kintail Graham!

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:38 am

Have just read this and your other reports from the WH meet - looks like you had a pretty productive time and a good result notwithstanding the mixed weather - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:139   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland